July 26th, 2005
Chart Matching Fundamentals
- 7th house and its lord,
- Planets having drishti on the lord of the 7th house,
- Planets located in the the 7th house,
- Venus for males, because it represents wife and
- Jupiter for females because it represents husband.
|1. Aswini||10. Magha||19. Moola||Ketu|
|2. Bharani||11. Purva Falguni||20. Purva Ashadha||Venus|
|3. Kritika||12. Uttara Falguni||21. Uttara Ashadha||Sun|
|4. Rohini||13. Hasta||22. Shravana||Moon|
|5. Mrigshira||14. Chitta||23. Dhanishtha||Mars|
|6. Adra||15. Swati||24.Shatabhisha||Rahu|
|7. Punarvasu||16. Vishakha||25. Purva Bhadprada||Jupiter|
|8. Pushya||17. Anuradha||26. Uttara Bhadprada||Saturn|
|9. Ashlesha||18. Jyestha||27. Revati||Mercury|
- Varna, literally means caste. There are four varnas, Brahmin, Kshatriya, Vaishya and Shudra, in that order. This factor contributes one point to the overall match. To match, the groom should have a higher varna than the bride.
- Vashya, literally means control. This factor shows who among the bride and the groom will have more control, in other words, who would be more dominating. This factor contributes a maximum of two points to the chart. Two points are allotted if the bride and the groom belong to the same vashya. The vashyas are simple to calculate and correspond to the whole rashi.
- Chatushpad (having four feet) – Aries, Taurus, and Sagittarius (second half).
- Manav (human) – Gemini, Virgo, Libra, Sagittarius (first half) and Aquarius.
- Jalchar (living in water) – Cancer, Capricorn and Pisces.
- Vanchar (living in the forest) – Leo
- Keet (worm) – Scorpio
- Tara is an indicator of a relationship between the nakshatras of the bride and the groom. The maximum number of points that can be obtained with this match is 3.
- Yoni is an indicator of attraction between husband and wife. This factor contributes a maximum of 4 points to the overall compatibility, with 4 points being awarded if the bride and groom have the same yoni. The yonis are represented by names of 14 animals.
- Graha Maitri is an indicator of friendship between the rashi lords of bride and groom. The two rashi lords can be friends, enemies or neutral to each other. However, the friendship is not commutative (I hope I am using the correct term here) i.e. If A is a friend of B, then B need not be a friend of A. This factor contributes a maximum of 5 points to the overall compatibility.
- Gana is an indicator of three basic qualities of nature (sattva, rajas and tamas) and are represented by Deva (God), Manav (Human) and Rakshasa (Demon). This factor contributes up to 6 points towards the match and is considered good if the bride is of higher gana than the groom.
- Bhakoota is an indicator of relative position of moon within the main zodiac. If the signs are located 2nd/12th, 5th/9th and 6th/8th from each other, the points allotted is zero otherwise its 7.
- Nadi literally means pulse. According the nakshatra, there are three kinds of nadis: Adi (beginning), Madhya (middle) and Antya (end). The husband and wife should have different nadis to get 8 points towards overall horoscope compatibility.
If the same planet is the lord of Rashis of would be bride and groom.
If the lord of rashis of bride and groom are friends.
In only these two scenarios, Nadi dosha is said to be cancelled.