A lot of people write to me about what Manglik dosha
is and how important it is for ascertaining horoscope compatibility and in wrecking relationships. I will explain a few things about Mars dosha. Before I start, I would like to emphasize that horoscope compatibility analysis is a job of a well trained and qualified professional astrologer. No software can capture the essence of this process. It is like A.I.; We can make incredibly smart machines, but none of them can match humans in terms of intelligence.
Mars is a planet that represents war. War is denoted by an adversary. Mars also represents fire. It causes a dosha in a kundali because it tends to “burn” the relationship between a husband and wife; causing rift, tensions and in some cases can be used to predict death of one spouse. Mars is a planet of valour and vigour and if associated with the lagna works towards making the person brave and headstrong. These qualities work against a relationship because then people become uncompromising as well. Marriage is about teamwork between husband and wife and would not work if one of the partners is aggressive, uncompromising and cannot take the point of view of the other partner.
In any case, a lot of importance should not be given to Mars alone. Sun, Rahu/Ketu and Saturn should also be judged while matching charts. In her book “The Art of Matching Charts”, Gayatri Devi Vasudev does not even have a chapter on Mars Dosha. She just has a chapter called “Balancing the malefic content”. There you have it…
Coming back to the point, presense of Mars in houses 2, 4, 7, 8, and 12 causes Manglik dosha. This dosha operates from both Lagna and Chandra lagna. If the dosha is operating from both these lagnas in a kundali, then it gives its full results. The strength of the dosha increases if it operates in navmsha chart as well, but we should always look at the presence of dosha in rashi chart first and only then look at navamsha for support.
Lets look at the effect of Mars in various houses/bhavas in a kundali:
- Mars in Bhava 2: The is anger/aggression associated with family life. The speech of an individual may be a harsh one. This relates directly to upbringing of the child and a sense of fierceness and assertiveness may be a part of behaviour itself. It has drishti on 8th house, which is maraka sthana for spouse represented by 7th house in a horoscope.
- Mars in Bhava 4: Bhava 4 in a kundali represents emotions, relationship with mother. Qualities of Mars are incompatible with the factors represented by this bhava. Hence presence of Mars in 4th house definitely causes manglik dosha. Mars has a full 4th house drishti and affects 7th house from its position in the 4th house in the kundali.
- Mars in bhava 12: By its location in house 12, Mars causes full 8th house drishti on 7th house. Mars gets the effect of 12th house by location in the house. It is not a good position for Mars itself and harmful for other traits represented by Mars in the kundali as well.
- Mars in houses 7: Affects house 7 itself, but also affects 2nd house, which is the house of family, thus harming traits of two houses representing a happily married life in a horoscope.
- Mars in 8th house: This affects 8th house and 2nd house. 8th house represents maraka sthana for the spouse in a kundali. 8th house is house of death for the person itself.
However, like all other rules, this rule has its own set of exceptions too. The following exceptions have been taken care of in my software:
- No Dosha for Leo and Aquarius signs and/or Lagnas,
- No Dosha when Mars is in 2nd house, in the signs of Gemini and Virgo,
- No Dosha when Mars is in 4th house, in the signs of Aries and Scorpio,
- No Dosha when Mars is in 7th house, in the signs of Cancer and Capricorn,
- No Dosha when Mars is in 8th house, in the signs of Sagittarius and Pisces signs
- No Dosha when Mars is in 12th house, in the signs of Taurus and Libra
In Vedic astrology, the effect of Mars causing Manglik dosha is considerably reduced if following happens:
- There is a drishti of a benefic – Jupiter or Venus on Mars and 7th house.
- Manglik dosha is being operated from only one of the lagnas – Chandra lagna or Ascendant.
- As I have explained in the other post, Manglik dosha has a reduced effect after age of 30 years for females and 45 years for males – there is a difference in ages perhaps because men are naturally more aggressive. What this means for remarriage is that it may not be necessary for us to look for Manglik dosha when going for a remarriage after divorce or death of a spouse.
Whenever looking at your kundali for manglik dosha and trying to do an equivalent of self medication, please be aware of these points. As always, please leave the job of interpretation to a professional astrologer.