Dasha periods, where a planet operates and when the results come to fruition –
A planet is capable of giving results as per its functional or natural significations either in the mahadasha or antardasha. The functional significations are based on the lordship, placement, and yogas this planet would have in the horoscope. The natural signification is based on what they signify naturally such as Venus signify marriage and relationship, Jupiter signify progeny etc.All the yogas, raja yogas, arishtas, bhava results are obtained during the dasha periods of the planets involved. During the dasha of a planet, the native is endowed with the nature and complexion of the dasha lord. The fiery planets would give brilliance, the watery planet would make one emotional and compassionate, the earthy planets make one hard working and the air planet would make the person thoughtful and philosophical. Along with this, the native would partake the guna of the dasha lord. Thus during the Jupiter, Sun and Moon’s dasha, the native becomes sattvik, during the dasha of Venus and Mercury, the native becomes Rajasik and during the dasha of Mars and Saturn, the native becomes tamasik. More effect of the guna of planets on the native can be learned from BPHS and Saravali.
The following are the types and levels of dashas within which planets give the results
- Mahadasha (महादशा)
- Within which antardashas (अंतरदशा) operate
- Within which pratyantar dashas (प्रत्यंतरदशा) operate
- Within which sookshma dashas (सूक्ष्मदशा) operate
- Within which praan dashas (प्राणदशा) operate
During its operating dasha, a planet is referred to as dash ruler (दशेश)
The following are the ground rules of predictions with dashas. The results given by the planet must be looked as per:
- The planet’s natural significations (नैसर्गिक कारकत्व)
- The bhavas owned by the planet (भावस्वामित्व)
- The house the planet is placed in
- The house or house lord aspected by the planet
- The planet it is conjunct or forms a yoga with
- Malefics give the results of their placement in a rashi during the first third part, the results of their placement in a bhava in the middle third and the results of their aspect in the last third of the dasha.
- Similarly, benefic planets give their results of their bhava in the beginning third, the result of their placement in rashi in the middle third and the result of their aspects in the last third of the dasha.
The results are modified by:
- Yoga causing planets
- Planets aspecting the dasha lord
- For the dasha lord, we also need to look at the planets located in the sign owned by the planet. The strength, weakness and natural significations of these planets modify the results of the dasha lord. Except for Sun and Moon, all other planets own two signs each. We have to consider both the signs in this case.
- The nakshatra and rashi the planets are placed in: The qualities of the nakshatra lord and rashi lord are absorbed by the dasha ruler and overall results are modified.
During the dasha of a planet, the natural significance (naisargika karakatva) gains or suffer based on whether the placement of the planet is auspicious or inauspicious. The strength of the planets involved in a yoga/combination is indicative of the strength of the combination. The yogakaraka planets provide the results of the yoga during their dasha periods.
The results given by a planet are auspicious (शुभ फल) if:
- The planet is located in own house (स्वक्षेत्री), own navamsha (स्वनवांशगत), friendly house (मित्रक्षेत्री), friendly navamsha (मित्रनवांशगत)
- The planet is placed in Exaltation (उच्चगत), Mulatrikona (मूलत्रिकोणगत)
- In kendra (केन्द्रगत) or in a trine (त्रिकोणगत)
- Kalbali (कालबलि)
- Vargottama (वर्गोत्तम)
- aspected by benefics
- hemmed between benefics (शुभकर्तरियोग)
The results will be inauspicious (अशुभ फल) if:
- The planet is located in enemy house (शत्रुक्षेत्री), enemy navamsha (शत्रुनवांशगत)
- The planet is placed in debilitation (नीचगत);
- In bad houses (6th, 8th, 12th)
- Combust (अस्तंगत)
- conjunct or aspected by malefics
- hemmed between malefics (पापकर्तरियोग)
- Transition points between rashis (राशिसंधि) & bhavas (भावसंधि ).
- Out of many sandhi points, location in Gandanta sandhi (गण्डान्त संधि) is most inauspicious.
- Dasha periods of sixth, eighth or twelfth lords give obstacles as per the significations of the house. The negative results are more of the lord is further badly place, in debilitation sign or is placed in enemy sign. The negative results are less the lord is well placed in exaltation, mulatrikona, own sign or friend’s sign or in a good position in navamsha chart.
Functional Malefic or Benefic with respect to a Bhava
While the definition of malefic and benefic is mainly taken from the Lagna, they should also be seen from a bhava as well. Dasha of a planet that is benefic for a bhava will bring positivity to the significations of the bhava. The dasha of the 2nd and 7th lord from a bhava becomes the marakesh dasha for that bhava. If these planets are weak and afflicted then it would surely cause trouble to the significations of the bhava under consideration. During the dasha of the 6th, 8th and 12th lord from a bhava, the native suffers from the factors of bhava. The relations denoted by the concerned bhava suffers ill health if the bhava lord is not placed well – i.e., in debilitation sign, enemy house, etc. During dasha of yogakarka from a house, the factors of the house gain positivity.
Some of the important rules are:
- The dasha ruler’s association with or location in the sign of exalted planets brings positivity to dasha period results.
- The dasha ruler’s association with or location in the sign of debilitated planets brings extreme negativity to dasha period results.
- If a planet houses a debilitated planet in its sign, the other sign owned by this planet lord is also affected negatively.
- When a planet is mahadasha lord, it would not confer the result (either auspicious or inauspicious) in its own antardasha. They do so in the antardasha of the planet associated with it. This is important when there is a new mahadasha and the first dasha is of the planet itself.
Relationship of Dasha and antardasha lords (also applicable to dasha-ruler relationships at two consecutive levels)
Results are auspicious if:
- The two lords are friends
- The two lords are placed 5/9 or 4/10 from each other.
- The antardasha lord is well placed with respect to the Moon.
Results are inauspicious if:
- If the two lords are placed are placed in the 6th/8th or 2nd/12th from each other, these shows enmity, physical troubles, troubles from unknown sources etc. Even if both dasha lords are auspicious in their own right, in case of the inauspicious relationship, the overall auspicious results are muted. It will more or less be negative dasha period.
- If the lower level dasha lord is a friend to the upper level dasha lord or the Lagna lord, then the trouble would be lessened.
- If the two dasha lords are inimical to each other, or if the lower level dasha lord is inimical to Lagna lord, then inauspicious results are magnified.
Dasha of Retrograde Planets
Retrograde planets (वक्री ग्रह) give good or bad results both depending on above rules. However, during their periods, a person loses inhibitions and can potentially move towards instability, vices, wrongdoing, and misconduct.
Dasha of Yogakaraka Planets
We always look for yoga-karaka planets for ascertaining the most potent results in a horoscope. These yogas are one or more of pancha-mahapurusha yogas, dhana yogas, raja yogas etc. The reader is advised to go through a great book ” Three hundred important combinations” by Prof. B.V. Raman and चुने हुए ज्योतिष योग by JN Bhasin.
- The dasha of the yogakaraka shall have following results in different sub-dashas. The mahadasha of a yogakaraka is important because it gives sustained, long-term results. In case of antardasha and pratyantar dashas, yogakaraka also gives some results, but they may be feeble if they are not related to or are not placed well in relation to the mahadasha lord. Based on this logic, the following should be read accordingly for a dasha and sub-dasha. If a mahadasha does not allow for results of a yogakaraka, the sub-dasha period will not show full results. These results will be time-bound and feeble.
- For consistent gains, combination (योग) of planets is very important. For example, 2nd lord in 11th is dhana yoga and 11th lord in 2nd is dhana yoga too. However, dhana yoga results will be feeble compared to when both these planets conjoin in a kendra/trikona/2nd/11th houses and when the dasha periods operate. Hence, in the sub-dasha of a related auspicious planet (yogakaraka or lord of trines), the results experienced will be full and auspicious.
- In the sub-dasha of an unrelated auspicious planet, the results would be moderately auspicious.
- In the sub-dasha of a malefic planet in the chart (it also includes functional malefics – 3/6/8/12th lords), the effect of the yogakaraka would not be felt.
- If a mahadasha of yogakaraka planet is going on, such sub-periods of malefic planets act as a speed breaker on otherwise smooth road.
Dasha of Trine/Trikona lords
- Dasha periods of ascendant lord (लग्नेश) and rashi lord (राशीश) are more or less positive. Notable differences are in case of Mars and Venus, whose rashi signs are 6/8 from each other. See my notes on Venus being 8th lord.
- Dasha periods of trikon lords are positive, especially when the moolatrikona sign falls in these houses. Notable difference is Saturn, where it can be lord of trikona as well as a difficult house simultaneously)
- When malefics become lords of trikona, the results are less auspicious.
- When benefics become lords of trines, the results are extremely auspicious.
- If Kendra and Trikona lord become associated with each other, then it becomes a raja-yoga and results in related dasha/sub-dasha periods is auspicious.
Dasha and sub-dasha periods of malefics and functional malefics are inauspicious. They act as obstacles either through opposition and competition, legal issues, accidents and health problems, loss of money, loss of peace of mind, etc. The dasha and antardasa periods of 6th, 8th and 12th lord always cause trouble. A malefic gives better, i.e., less inauspicious results, if placement is positive. Results are very negative if the placement is negative, e.g., being debilitated, in enemy sign, etc. Similar to yogakaraka results, the mahadasha and antardasha results are modified by relative placements of planets.
- In the main period of a malefic, the dasha of any planet will be further inauspicious if the relative placement is 2/12, 6/8 etc.
- If the inner dasha planet is benefic, the the inauspicious results are reduced (but not entirely eliminated).
- Inner dasha of another malefic or a neutral planet is always inauspicious.
- Dasha of markesh can cause death.
Mahadasha and sub-periods of nodes (Rahu and Ketu):
Both Rahu and Ketu are to be treated as malefics. Their placements, strength, debilitation/exaltation needs to be considered as malefics. They will do well when placed in friendly nakshatras, houses and will do miserably when placed in debilitation, in 6/8 relationships, or associated with malefic lords. Both are capable of giving good results, but with negative connotations. Vice, wrongdoing, and misconduct are shown. These are some of the additional important considerations for mahadasha and antardashas related to nodes:
- If the nodes are placed in trines, then both the mahadasha periods as well as sub-periods become important. The mahadasha period of a kendra lord with antardasha period of nodes as well as sub periods of kendra lords within mahadasha of nodes confer raja yoga.
- Similarly if the nodes are placed in Kendra, then mahadasha/antardasha combinations with trine lords gives result of a raja-yoga.
- For both such placements, associated periods for a yogakaraka is also auspicious.
- If the nodes are associated with the 6th, 8th, 12th lords, then their dasa/antardasa both would be inauspicious. Rahu/Ketu would behave like rank malefics in this case.
- Location of nodes in 6th house, or 8th house needs to be carefully studied.