April 7th, 2013
Start of new school session
Vedic astrology prescribes muhurtas for both start of studies for kids as well as start of a new session in schools. These should be thought about as two different samskaras. While start of studies for a child is thought to be as aksharambha (अक्षरारंभ), start of a new session and acquiring new stream of knowledge is known as vidyarambha (विद्यारंभ). The two are different and should be treated differently.
Many of us already initiate our children to learning through usage of word cards, videos, books, etc. However, in the formal sense, education starts only when we send them to school. Hence, this is for a child going to starting studies and in modern context going to school for the first time.
Rishis have prescribed following for start of schooling:
- After praying to Ganesha, Lakshmi, Vishnu and Sarasvati, studies should be started on a day except Monday.
- Let the nakshatra be Anuradha, Revati, Ashwini, Chitra, Hasta, Swati, Puvarvasu, Pushya, Shravana.
- Tithi should be – 2, 3, 5, 10, 11, 12. These do not include Anadhaya tithis that were supposed to be holidays in ancient gurukulas, before we adapted Western concept of leave on Saturday and Sundays.
- No malefic influence on Lagna should exist. 8th house should be unoccupied.
- Jupiter, Mercury and Venus should be strong at the time of starting studies.
- Avoid Sun and Lagna to be in Gemini and Pisces rashis.
As I mentioned above, this is about starting learning a new stream of knowledge. For the same, we should
- Avoid anadhyaya tithis – 1, 8, 14, 15
- Avoid Mondays and Wednesdays
- Avoid Bharani, Kritika, Magha, Uttara Falguni and Uttara Ashadha
I will quickly enhance the article to include good/bad days in the month of June when most of the schools reopen.