Planets Mercury, Venus, Mars, Jupiter and Saturn own two signs each in Vedic Astrology where we do not take Uranus, Neptune and Pluto into account. Sun and Moon have ownership of just one sign each. This complicates matters for some new astrologers who aren’t able to judge the true nature of the planet and ascertain the effect of the planet in the chart as benefic or malefic. This article is an extension of the benefic/malefic planet article that I wrote way back in 2009 and should be read along with it. Please refer to the points on who the malefics and benefics are as I will not repeat it here. Based on the points, and the dual sign ownership, a planet can be lord of both a malefic as well as a benefic house in a horoscope. Let’s look at various ascendant signs and dual ownership and ascertain the functional nature of a planet in a given janma kundali.
Also, these should be looked at both from Rashi and Lagna charts. If a planet is malefic from both angles, then the maleficence increases dramatically. If it is benefic from both the points, then it is overall benefic. Otherwise, the benefic/malefic aspect can be seen from whichever of Rashi or Lagna is more powerful. Depending on the mutual positions of Rashi and Lagna signs, it is important to note both. E.g. for Karka rashi and Tula lagna, Venus can play a dual role. From the lagna, it is benefic, but from Rashi, it is tainted by kendradhipati dosha as well as 11th house lordship. Hence, good results will not be observed during Venus dasha. Planet owning Lagna is always beneficial, no matter what the other house lordship is. It is not even listed in the comments below.
Some of the points to be noted are:
- Kendradhipati dosha is very important, especially for Jupiter and Mercury who simultaneously own two kendras for few signs.
- Simultaneous ownership of two houses will give mixed results. It will actually give results for both the houses simultaneously, one may be good and other may be bad.
- If the planet owns one malefic house, then its ability to give rajyoga results is effectively zero.
- Strength and weakness of the planet should guide an astrologer to predict correct results.
- 8th house is usually a malefic and 12th house is neutral. The overall effect should then be ascertained by other house ownership.
- Moolatrikona signs for planets are more important and powerful. They play a big part in modifying the natural characteristics of the planet in a horoscope into functional one.
Aries – Mesha as Janma Lagna or Rashi in birth horoscope
- Mercury: Mercury owns 3rd and 6th house and both are malefic houses.
- Venus: Owns 2nd and 7th house in the horoscope. It is maraka planet. Will give money and good wife if strong. By itself, it has ability to cut short the life of a person.
- Jupiter: Jupiter will give effect of 9th house lord as other house is 12th house in the horoscope. Strength and weakness of Jupiter will determine the extent of 9th house effect on the individual.
- Saturn: Saturn owns 10th and 11th house in horoscope for Aries Lagna or Rashi. Effect of 11th house lordship in the horoscope would be felt more because Aquarius is Saturn’s moolatrikona sign. Hence Saturn is a malefic and will harm the indicators of the house it is located in or the house/planet is is aspecting. Well placed and aspected Saturn will give wealth to the person.
Taurus – Vrishabh as Janma Lagna or Rashi in birth horoscope
- Mars: It will behave like 7th house lord more as other is 12th house. It is a natural malefic hence the opposite of kendradhipati dosha works here.
- Mercury: Benefic planet as it is lord of 2nd house and 5th house. It will behave like both. Good aspects will ensure good childhood, money and education.
- Jupiter: Overall malefic as both 8th and 11th house lord in the kundali. Will be more like 8th house lord and less like 11th house lord when it comes to providing wealth to the individual.
- Saturn: Saturn owns 9th and 10th house in the horoscope. It will behave like the best benefic. Strong Saturn will be more like 10th house lord and provide professional success, honour and recognition.
Gemini – Mithuna as Janma Lagna or Rashi in birth horoscope
- Venus: Behaves like a 5th house lord in a horoscope and not 12th house lord. Benefic aspects are good for 5th house indications.
- Mars: Mars is malefic due to 6th and 11th house ownership. Strength of Mars will indicate weak immune system, i.e., tendency to fall ill but will give money at the same time.
- Jupiter: Suffers from Kendradhipati dosha. Strength and weakness will work on both 7th and 10th houses in the horoscope. Since 10th is a stronger house than 7th, Jupiter will be more of 10th house lord indicating professional success rather than 7th house characteristics of marriage, partnerships in a horoscope. This is observed even when Sagittarius is moolatrikona for Jupiter rather than Pisces.
- Saturn: 8th and 9th house lord, but will behave more like 9th house lord. Hence, overall Saturn is considered beneficial for Gemini lagna.
Cancer – Karka as Janma Lagna or Rashi in birth horoscope
- Mars: Mars is 5th and 10th house lord in the horoscope, simultaneously. It is therefore rajayoga Karaka. Highly beneficial.
- Mercury: Mercury owns 3rd and 12th house and both are malefic houses. Behaves like a 3rd house karaka in this case.
- Venus: 4th and 11th house lord. Suffers from Kendradhipati dosha. Not good for the houses where it is located, but gives wealth and money, along with other problems during its dasha/bhukti.
- Jupiter: Jupiter will give effect of 6th house lord and not 9th house lord because Sagittarius is its moolatrikona sign. It works like a malefic planet for Cancer.
- Saturn: 7th and 8th houses belong to Saturn in a Cancer lagna/rashi kundali . Effect of 8th house lordship would be felt more during Saturn dasha/bhukti because Aquarius is Saturn’s moolatrikona sign. Hence Saturn is a malefic and harm the indicators of the house it is located in.
Leo – Simha as Janma Lagna or Rashi in birth horoscope
- Mars: 4th and 9th houses belong to Mars in a Leo kundali. Rajayoga Karaka. Highly beneficial.
- Mercury: Mercury owns 2nd and 11th house in such a kundali. It is malefic (maraka) and 11th house lord. However, extremely good for money prospects, if it is well placed.
- Venus: 3rd and 10th house lord in the horoscope. Suffers from Kendradhipati dosha.
- Jupiter: 5th and 8th house lordship is for Jupiter in Leo kundali. Jupiter will give effect of 5th house lord because Sagittarius is its moolatrikona. It will help with intelligence, speculation.
- Saturn: Effect of 6th house lordship will be felt. 7th house effect will be seen in partnerships, married life, but Saturn will also cause diseases. Cannot cause raja-yoga, even with combination of other trine/quadrant lord.
Virgo – Kanya as Janma Lagna or Rashi in birth horoscope
- Mars: Overall malefic as it is involved with 3rd and 8th house in Kanya lagna kundali.
- Venus: Benefic, but gives more money as Libra is its moolatrikona sign. Less of 9th house prospects and more of 2nd house prospects in the horoscope.
- Jupiter: Suffers from Kendradhipati dosha. Not good for partnerships.
- Saturn: Effect of 6th house lordship will be felt more. Will cause diseases and other ailments. Not a raja-yoga karaka.
Libra – Tula as Janma Lagna or Rashi in birth horoscope
- Mars: Maraka planet, will behave like a malefic one. 2nd and 7th house ownership in Libra kundali.
- Mercury: Behave like a 9th house lord and not as 12th house.
- Venus: Supposed to be benefic as it is lord of Lagna. However, I have observed in cases of two Tula lagna individuals that Venus mahadasha was a difficult one. In fact, problems in both cases started with the start of Venus mahadasha. Problems may happen also if Venus is a malefic as per Rashi kundali.
- Jupiter: Jupiter is lord of 3rd and 6th and both are malefic houses in a kundali
- Saturn: Rajyoga karaka. Will give results of both 4th and 5th house in a horoscope
Scorpio – Vrishchika as Janma Lagna or Rashi in birth horoscope
- Mercury: Mercury owns 8th and 11th house. It is malefic. However, it would act more like 11th house lord in the horoscope
- Venus: 7th and 12th house lord. Suffers from Kendradhipati dosha. Malefic.
- Jupiter: Jupiter will give effect of 2nd house lord because Sagittarius is its moolatrikona. 5th house ownership will also come into picture. Overall, Jupiter will help with money through speculation and intelligence for Vrishchika lagna.
- Saturn: Effect of 4th house lordship will be felt. But since it also owns 3rd house, it is not a raja-yoga karaka. It has a taint.
Sagittarius – Dhanu as Janma Lagna or Rashi in birth horoscope
- Mars: Acts like the 5th Lord, but not a rajayoga karaka, as the other house ownership is 12th house
- Mercury: Suffers from Kendradhipati dosha, if benefic.
- Venus: Venus is 6th and 11th house lord in Dhanu rashi/lagna kundali. Malefic overall, but good for money prospects as 11th house lord. Will give diseases, along with money.
- Saturn: Saturn is 2nd and 3rd house lord in Sagittarius kundali. Effect of 3rd house lordship will be felt. Malefic and not good for money if it is strong.
Capricorn – Makara as Janma Lagna or Rashi in birth horoscope
- Mars: Mars is 4th and 11th lord in Makara kundali. Good for money, but not a raja-yoga karaka.
- Mercury: Mercury owns 6th and 9th house simultaneously. Will give results of 9th house, which it Mercury’s moolatrikona rashi.
- Venus: 5th and 10th house lord. Does not suffer from Kendradhipati dosha, but instead is a highly beneficial raja-yoga-karaka.
- Jupiter: Malefic overall due to lordship of 3rd and 12th house in the horoscope
Aquarius – Kumbha as Janma Lagna or Rashi in birth horoscope
- Mars: Malefic, will behave like a 3rd house lord. 10th house effects are less.
- Mercury: Mercury owns 5th and 8th house in Kumbha kundali.. It is malefic due to Virgo in 8th.
- Venus: Venus is 4th and 9th house lord in kumbha kundali. Suffers from Kendradhipati dosha.
- Jupiter: Jupiter will give effect of 11th house lord because Sagittarius is its moolatrikona. It will help with money, but will behave like a malefic lord. Usual problems associated with 11th house ownership in a horoscope will show up.
Pisces – Meen as Janma Lagna or Rashi in birth horoscope
- Mars: Highly beneficial for both money 2nd house and 9th house prospects in Meen horoscope.
- Mercury: Mercury owns 4th and 7th. Malefic due to kendradhipati dosha, if free of other malefic influence.
- Venus: 3rd and 8th house lord. Highly malefic
- Saturn: Effect of 12th house lordship will be felt. Malefic.
in tula lagan venus is in 12 house with mercury. so if mercury behaves like 7th house so its benefit of uccha ka will go
Dob 19 11 1965 time 09 30 pm. Bhahalpur bihar.Sani ki mahadasa kaisi rahegi pls tell me.parasar.
Pls tel me about sani in 8th house aquarious.sano mahadasa kaisi rahegi.
Panditji, kindly check the points on Venus in case of Aquarius lagna i.e. Kumbha lagna.
Venus does not suffer from any type of Kendradhipati dosh in case of Kumbha lagna people rather it is Rajyoga karaka being the lord of 4th and 9th house lord simultaneously.
Kindly check it.
In Kumbh lagn u wrote about Venus mistake happens in house.u wrote venus is lord of 3rdand10th house but it is lord of 4th and 9th house.
Dear Sandhya, thanks for pointing out the error. Duly corrected.
kindł check this horoscope
3rd place saturn
10th sun and jupiter
11th mars and budha
when i will get a good job and opportunity please ensure me
Very detailed article. Thank you Mr.Sharma. For Capricorn lagna, Mercury is the owner of 6 & 9 houses. What will be nature of Mercury when it occupes the 6 th house. Will it lose the signification of the 9 th house ?
I will be thankful if you could reply.
Thank you Mr.Sharma.
Where can i find you your previous article on malefic/benefice planets (year 2009 ) ?
Dear Mr. Sharma,
I have read your post ; it is very detailed and quite useful. I was looking for this information for quite sometime.Thank you for your time ;
I have few queries:
1. Sagittaius Lagna: You have mentioned for Mercury ” if benefic ” . How to determine whether Mercury is malefic or benefic for this Lagna ?
2. When assessing the nature of Planets in the horoscope, one is asked to look for its placement from Lagna,Moon ,Sun & Ardura Lagna etc. Is there a weightage factor to be used when one combines all these aspects from these references.
Please follow this link for Contact and Consultation.