To be effectively able to judge if a person can take sanyas and become an ascetic, lets try to define the traits that we associate with a sanyasi. Before we begin, I would like to encourage everyone to watch a movie called OMG: Oh My God! It is a great movie.
Traits of a sanyasi that gives a pravrajya-yoga:
- A sanyasi ought to be learned and someone with a sound logic, deeply philosophical and someone with clear and uncluttered thinking.
- Not necessarily deeply religious, but someone seeking truth
- Detached from family, society and worldly pleasures
- Ability to work hard and have immense discipline.
The combinations that cause these traits to appear in a person are:
- Negative Traits to cause detachment
- Detachment is caused by malefic influence of Sun, Rahu, Saturn and 12th house lord in a kundali.
- In a kundali, such an influence is required on 2nd (family) and 7th house (spouse). Influence on 2nd is much more important as an influence on 7th alone will cause separation from spouse, thus resulting in a divorce.
- Separating influence is required on 4th house (society) and 12th house (worldly pleasures) and on Venus.
- These influence are a must from the Moon as well – especially the influence of Saturn on the Moon is required should be analyzed very carefully.
- Positive Influence in the horoscope to create higher intellect and provide wisdom
- Pravrajya yoga is defined by 4 or more strong planets in one house in a kundali, without being combust or debilitated. The nature of the sanyas is governed by the strongest of these set of planets. Such a combination should ideally occur in a kendra to affect the Lagna, otherwise it will not be effective.
- Jupiter will need to be involved to bring in the philosophical influence on the mind. Jupiter should by itself be a benefic planet in the kundali otherwise instead of a sanyasi, we will see a salesman or marketer, likes of who we see in the OMG movie.
- Saturn indicates discipline and ability to work hard.
- Venus is a planet that indicates luxuries in the horoscope. This has to be controlled and channelized in the kundali. One does not become a sanyasi by curbing ones desire. Happiness is obtained in the process and hence has a lasting influence.
- Ketu is moksha karaka in a horoscope and especially acts that way if the location is in 12th house. Its combination with Venus, especially in 12th house is important. It could also be in 8th house as it is a house of hidden studies, occult and deep meaning of life. Essentially we should look at Saturn and Ketu affecting Venus in one of these two houses.
Both influences are required in a horoscope. If there is just the positive influence, then we see a family man, a grihastha who is a wise learned man. If there are just negative influences in the kundali, then it would be an unfortunate situation for the person and would not guide him/her to higher learning.
If any of the planets are combust, then the person has an inkling and tendency to take sanyasa, but does not really walk on the path. Even if sanyasa is attained, the person is likely come out of it.
According to Brihat-jatakam, if there is a rajayoga also existing in the chart, along with Jupiter in trines, then the chart is of a maharshi and rajarshi. Such a person, who, while have taken a sanyasa, will have a lot of followers and he will be considered a great sage. If this combination of raja-yoga does not exist, then the person will be a simple ascetic.