Benefic and Malefic Planets

By Kshitij Sharma, September 6, 2009

The art of determining benefic and malefic planets for a lagna (or rashi) is best learnt from Dr. B.V. Raman’s excellent book – How to Judge a Horoscope. This post is what I have learnt from one of the early chapters in the book – “Considerations in Judging a House”. If Motilal Banarasidas has copyright issues with this article, let it be known to me. I will remove it immediately. Still, I believe that all aspiring astrologers should mug this chapter.

The chapter does not only talk about planet by planet list for each lagna, but spell out the rules in making this determination. Lordship of certain houses in the chart can make the planets deviate from their natural tendencies of doing good or bad. E.g. Jupiter, who is naturally the best beneficial planet, is not good for Kanya (Virgo) lagna. It is similarly neutral for Simha (Leo) lagna.

In the rules given below, Dr. Raman also talks about Kendradhipati Dosha, the blemish acquired by a natural benefic by virtue of lordship of an angle 4th, 7th or 10th house. The lord of Lagna does not get affected by this dosha.

Benefics for a lagna can be determined as:

1. First house lord, other than moon,
  2. 9th and 5th lords (in that order)
  3. 10th, 7th and 4th lords (in that order), when they are not natural benefics. This is Kendradhipati Dosha, which gets cancelled only when the aforesaid planet occupies its own sign.
  4. 9th and 10th house lords are considered very beneficial to a chart, but they should not be linked with 8th or 11th house.
  5. Natural malefics, when they become kendradhipatis.

The property of getting opposite traits to natural tendency is cancelled when the planet in question occupies its own house.

Malefics are determined as:

1. Lords of 3rd, 6th and 11th houses, in the reverse order,
  2. Any benefics that might be tainted with Kendradhipati Dosha.

Neutrals are:

1. Moon as lord of Lagna,
  2. Lords of 8th and 12th house; although the chapter mentions only Sun and Moon as having this property, but in principle it can be applied to each planet.

Based on the logic presented here, the list of benefic and malefic planet for each lagna can be summarized as follows.

Lagna Beneficial Planets Inauspicious Planets Special Comments
Aries (Mesha) Jupiter, Sun, Mars Saturn, Mercury, Venus

Waxing Moon is not auspicious as it suffers from Kendradhipati dosha

Taurus (Vrishabha) Saturn, Mercury, Mars, Sun Jupiter, Moon and Venus
Gemini (Mithuna) Venus Mars, Jupiter, Sun

Mars would be very inauspicious for Gemini as it owns 6th and 11th Houses

Cancer (Karka) Jupiter, Mars Venus, Mercury, Saturn

Saturn owns both 7th and 8th houses

Leo (Simha) Mars and Sun Mercury and Venus, Saturn

Mars is a yogakaraka all by itself.

Virgo (Kanya) Venus Moon, Mars, Jupiter
Libra (Tula) Saturn, Mercury and Venus Sun, Jupiter, Moon

Mars through 2nd and 7th house ownership is a maraka by itself.

Scorpio (Vrishchika) Moon, Sun, Jupiter Mercury, Venus
Sagittarius (Dhanu) Mars, Sun Venus, Saturn, Mercury
Capricorn (Makara) Venus, Mercury, Saturn Mars, Jupiter, Moon
Aquarius (Kumbha) Venus, Mars, Sun Jupiter, Moon
Pisces (Meena) Moon, Mars Saturn, Sun, Venus, Mercury

Looking at the rule for beneficial planets, Saturn is not a part of the list for Mesha lagna. This is because He is also a simultaneous ruler for 11th house that take the beneficial streak away.

• Comment by usal on September 18, 2009 at 2:27 pm

Dear Gurujis Namaskaram,

wanted to know whether moon is good in mysign or not. I have heard that moon exalts in taurus lagna but here it is mentioned moon is not good. My TOB: 12:55 pm. delhi, 17-02-82. Also any debilitated planet that I should take some action upon.

• Comment by anel vijay on September 22, 2009 at 4:35 pm

it is really a good blog. i appreciate your efforts.

Can you tell me benefic & malafic planet in my kundlani. Detailas are below

Dob 22/11/1971
    Time 3:45 Am
    Place Baran

Thanx & regards

Anel

• Comment by Thiyagarajan on September 27, 2009 at 11:31 am

The ariticle is execlent, I have small clarification.

How to determine the Benefic and Malefic Planets of Lagna and rasi ?

for example for Mesha Lagna Planets with evil streak are Saturn, Mercury, Venus at the same time if he born in Thula(Libra) rasi (Chithai, swathi and visakam)
    Beneficial Planets are Saturn, Mercury and Venus. Please clarify how to determine the astrological effects in this case.

• Comment by Arup Pal on November 23, 2009 at 1:09 pm

Data of birth 23rd November 1966
    Place of Birth Kulti (asansol, City: Koltaka)
    Time 21.00
    I would like to know who is my Isthadabata and main Planet.
    When My good time will come?
    Arup

• Comment by Chandrika on January 24, 2010 at 9:55 pm

OM NAMAH SIVAY
    Please, can you help about my chart? An astrologer said to me that my chart is very difficult to read and to live…
    Birth date:11/may/1956
    birth time: 20´15:OO city:Porto alegre-Rs-Brazil(lat.30.02/ long.51´12 timezone:3
    Lagna:Dhanus

Thank you very much if you can ask me something about!
    Hari Om
    Chan

• Comment by Shivaram on February 2, 2010 at 1:47 am

My DOB February 25, 1972 3:00 AM Mandya, Karnataka State, INDIA. Lagna is Sagittarius. Rasi Mithuna, Nakshatra Punarvasu 1St Pada. Jupiter is in lagna, Rahu is in 2nd House (Lord of the house Saturn),Mercury is in 3rd house combustion with Sun (Lord of the house in Saturn). Venus (Exal) is in 4th House (Lord of the House is Jupiter), Mars is in 5th house (Own), Saturn is in 6th House (Lord of the house Venus), Moon is in 7th house (Lord of the house Mercury), Ketu is in 8th House (Lord of the house Moon).

Since Venus is Natural Benificiary and according to B.V.Raman book and your article, it becomes malefic. Since is in Exlated is the mean it is going cause more problem?

I appreciate your response.

• Comment by smriti pandey on March 2, 2010 at 2:40 am

my dob is 22/12/1987
    time-9:52 am
    place-lucknow
    Can you tell me benefic & malafic planet in my kundlani.

• Comment by Tina on March 4, 2010 at 11:56 am

My name is Tina. I am writing to you to seek your advice. The issue is regarding delay in my marriage.

My details are-

DOB – 23/01/1978.

Time & Place- 11:15 AM, Mumbai.

We have been looking out for prospects for over 6 years now. We have received several proposals but things just did not materialize. Am I a manglik? Some have said that there’s a little manglik dosh but due to auspicious positions of other planets I cannot be labeled as a manglik & do not need to get married to a manglik guy. Some say that it’s the presence of Rahu in seventh house and Lord of seventh house-Mercury in retrograde position, these two factors are responsible for delay in marriage. I have kark lagna also.
    Can you plz advise what needs to be done & if I am likely to get married at all & if yes when & if that will be a good marriage or not. Plz let me know about my overall life also.Kindly suggest if I am required to wear anything or do any puja, if yes what should be the carat weight of that gem & how it needs to be worn.
    Recently someone had advised me to wear a “Zircon” sized 4 carat on Friday on my left hand ring finger which I am wearing. I am also wearing a red coral in silver, gomed (hessonite)in silver & pearl in gold. for the past 6-7 years. These three stones are embedded in in one pendant which I wear in my waist.
    It is a little confusing as different people advise different remedies.
    Also if you can tell me about how my life would be in general. I am working currently as a Manager. I will be really grateful if you can spare some time for me.
    Kindly help.

• Comment by BALASUBRAMANI on September 23, 2010 at 10:07 am

dear sir
    my date of birth is 17th april 1986
    time is 08.20 am
    since four year iam trying for job iam not getting it when will i get a job at what type and i love a girl and i want to get maried her is threr chance of love marriage in my life plz reply sir

• Comment by Nishant on October 12, 2010 at 1:57 am

Dear sir,
    I am Nishant i have read this document and i am right now surprised wit that way you have deal with all this tedious issues simply .
    Since i am having great problems i right now need your
    valuable suggestions.
    My date of birth is 01/03/1985 and
    time is 01:12 pm place : katangi(m.p.) .
    Please help me out Sir.

• Comment by HEMANT BISWAL on November 25, 2010 at 6:57 pm

Guruji, pranam.
    I am Hemant from Surat,Gujarat. Pls help me, show me the way, I can not see my future wel. I am completely BLIND to find my CAREER. I am not stable in my job, which job is best for me, in which field I should try? When I achieve success in my life?
    My date of birth details:
    17/04/1978 @12:30 PM, place- Surat
    Thanks for ur kind guidance

• Comment by Vivek Agrawal on July 2, 2012 at 11:53 am

DOB – 06-09-1980
    City – Indore
    State – MP

Please predict my future

• Comment by Natarajan Ganesan on August 17, 2012 at 2:05 am

So by the contents above and table therein Jupiter is a benefic only in three cases, malefic in 6 cases and 3 cases have not been mentioned (I am assuming they are neutral).

This sounds so counter-intuitive to the notion that Jupiter is natural benefic.

Can you please explain?

Natarajan Ganesan

• Comment by Mohhd aslam on August 26, 2012 at 4:10 pm

Sir jo planet lagan chart me benefic h wo verga chart me b benefic rahege ya us lagan ke hisab se change ho jayege

• Comment by RAVINDER on September 11, 2012 at 2:51 pm

DOB – 05-07-1984
    City – faridabad
    State – hariyana
    Time- 12:15 day time

Please predict my future. please tell me that when got a better job.kya govt job ka milne ke yog h aur h toh kab tak mil sakti koi govt. job.

• Comment by srikanth on October 19, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Srikanth
    DOB 04/11/1977
    12:20 PM

Place: Mysore, Karnataka

Can you please tell me that the venus and mercury are malefic or benefic.

• Comment by u yogalingam on December 26, 2012 at 4:38 pm

my birth details P.O.B cumbum(andhrapradesh),D.O.B 26/02/1984, T.O.B 3:07am, my woulldbe details D.O.B 28/11/1987 P.O.B ongole(andhrapradesh) T.O.B 5:30pm please check the compatability between us and suggest me whether to marry me r not

• Comment by u yogalingam on December 26, 2012 at 4:42 pm

explain about the conjunction of sun Saturn in 7th house for Taurus ascendant

• Comment by Chirag on April 25, 2013 at 11:38 am

Chirag
    DOB 30-10-1992
    Time : 6.30PM
    Place: Puri, Orissa

Can you please tell me which planets are malefic & which are benefic. What remedies will be done ?

• Comment by Dipak on June 12, 2013 at 5:16 pm

Leo lagna sun and mercury in libra it is good or bed

• Comment by chandrasekhar on September 9, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Guruji, pranam.
    I am sekhar from vijayawada AP Pls help me, show me the way, I can not see my future well i am completely BLIND to find my CAREER. I am not stable in my business which is best for me, in which field I should try? When I achieve success in my life?
    My date of birth details:
    27/07/1972 @12:30 PM, place- vijayawada AP
    Thanks for ur kind guidance

• Comment by DEVSHI MAHESHWARI on September 22, 2013 at 11:42 am

SIR,

BELOW ARE MY BIRTH DETAILS,

1) NAME : DEVSHI M. MAHESHWARI
    2) GENDER : MALE
    3) BIRTH DATE : 16/09/1981
    4) BIRTH TIME : 10:55 AM
    5) BIRTH PLACE : NEW KANDLA (GUJARAT)
    Latitude : 23° 00′ North Longitude : 70° 11′ East.

WHICH IS MOST FUNCTIONALLY MALEFIC PLANET IN MY KUNDLI?

WHO IS MY ISHTA DEVTA AS PER MY KUNDLI?

REGARDS,

DEVSHI.

• Comment by Bharat on October 11, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Dear Devshi, your best benefic is Saturn and most malefic is Mars or Mangal. Mars creates problem in your marriage and also your money and assets are not well disposed. you also loose in friendship etc. you are accident prone due to effect of rahu on Mangal Worship Hanumanji. i think your jupiter is supposed to be ill disposed due to lordship of 3 and 6th house but its evil effect is neutralised due to effect of Sun and Saturn Mercury and in turn becomes rather favourable. Do certain solutions and you shall do well in life.
    TC and Bye.

• Comment by Sreenivasa Moorthy on October 21, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I had been following various books / articles on astrology. For Leo Ascendant Mars is considered as a functional benefic & positional banefic. It is well placed in natal chart, yet I am experiencing very bad results. Mars maha dasha just started. Could you pl through some light in this???
    Birth detials:
    DOB: 25 August 1956
    Place: Podile
    Time: 07-15 AM

I would appreciate your quick reply to my mail id.

• Comment by surabhi garg on February 1, 2014 at 2:50 pm

My dob is 30/12/1981
    12:35 pm
    meerut , uttar pradesh

I have had lots of troubles and is still under going the same
    please help.

• Comment by mbnarayana on June 25, 2014 at 10:51 am

When 11th house is considered as labhasthana irrespective of lord of the house how can it be inauspisicious?

• Comment by Naga on September 9, 2014 at 6:30 pm

Dear Guruji,

My DOB is 18.6.1972 5AM Tanuku India. Taurus ascendant & leo rashi my Rahu dasha was not stable, while Jupiter is functional malefic, is in moolatrikona sign, as per Prashara sastra malefic cancellation will applied, kindly suggest some good remedies and gem stone for me in looking towards my career growth.

Thank you for your time.

Best Regards,
    Naga Ram

Before submitting a comment on VEDIC ASTROLOGY, please understand that discussions/messages on the forum and on the blog are visible to the visitors of the site as public information and you allow the site to use the comment appropriately in the articles and notes, while answering your questions. Inappropriate and irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin’s discretion. Your email is used for verification purposes only, it will never be shared. Please go through the Terms of Use in the footer of the page.