What is in a name? Selecting baby names from nakshatra

By Kshitij Sharma, August 1, 2005

namakarna sanskar

What is in a name? Very much if the wit of man could find it out.

This small article on Jyotish is about selecting name of a child, mostly a new born baby based on her birth nakshatra. This is to be used during namakarana samskar, an important ceremony that is performed after 10th day of birth of the baby.

The idea is to find out the birth nakshatra and nakshatra pada, and name the baby according to the starting letter specified in the list below.

While using this methodology, there are two problems:

• The starting letters are too vague and most of the time no good baby names begin with the letter. E.g., I was born in PurvaFalguni Nakshatra, 2nd Pada. Hence my name is supposed to begin with “ta”. One of the names that I could be given was “Tarzan”. Nope, nothing doing… in the end, good sense prevailed and my parents did a decent job in choosing my name.
  • The list is so small that it can cause tremendous amount of duplication.

To find out the starting letter of child’s name, look her Nakshatra and Nakshatra Pada up on birth chart generator page. Then come back to this page and look at the list. The letter to choose corresponds to the Pada. e.g. If Nakshatra is Purva Falguni, Second Pada, then the starting letter of the baby name should be “Ta” as it is second in the list. Similarly, if the Nakshatra is Anuradha, Third Pada, then the name should begin with “Noo” because it is third in the list. If you still have some doubt, please add a comment to this blog, or send me an email at “vedic dot astrology at gmail dot com”.

I have had a lot of visitors to my astrology web site complaining that they are not able to view this list of starting letter of names in one browser or the other because IE and Firefox are not always able to display Indic fonts properly. To solve all the problems once and for all, I have generated the list as an image and have stuck it to this blog.

• Comment by Anonymous on August 7, 2005 at 10:45 pm

cool blog

• Comment by Anonymous on June 15, 2006 at 8:17 am

A name is very important from vedic astrology point of view.
    It makes half of what the person
    is.

Just again my experience…
    I am still learning though.

Just my two cents..
    ( Sorry for this end comment ).
    Just to mark, this was my comment.

• Comment by Aishu on July 21, 2006 at 4:56 pm

Astrological name confines one to very few choices. It is suggested to be tu te ta…But my name begins with A. How does it influence our life?

• Comment by S. Anand on September 29, 2006 at 9:40 am

What about names with Sh (Sharad) or Jn (Vijnyan)?

- S. Anand (friend of Shastrix)

• Comment by Nikhil on February 9, 2007 at 3:33 pm

Importance of choosing the correct phonetic name can not be over-emphasized. Vedic Numerology is the study of the planetary ruler ship through nine primary numbers. It is based on the vibratory resonance of each number. Vedic Numerology is a sacred study as it enables us to look deeply into the wheel of karma and adjust our attitude and behavior in the world. Absolutely everything is based on etheric vibration, the higher the frequency, the more force it contains. Following web-page provides several interesting real-life case studies:

[Ed: Apart from a few examples, this is a commercial link]

• Comment by rajinder mahendroo on November 1, 2007 at 9:17 am

I need to know my future

• Comment by Viraj on December 26, 2007 at 3:10 pm

Hello,
    I am a Buddhist of Sri Lankan origin. As such I cannot read the Indian Script above.
    I am searching for a name for my baby daughter who’s Nakshastra is Poorvashadha with Pada 3.

What sounds should I consider for my baby girl’s name?
    I would be very thankful if you could give me the sounds in English.

• Comment by srikanth on April 22, 2008 at 3:59 pm

I need to know my future and when i will settle in my life and when will get my partner

• Comment by Rajesh Kanattu on May 20, 2008 at 3:20 pm

Can you suggest me the starting letter for my son.Details are given below. I have read lots of web sites but quite confused by the suggestions..

Date of Birth : 15/05/2008 ( dd/mm/yyyy)
    time : 2.40 pm( 14: 40 hrs)
    Place of birth : Thellakom, kottayam,kerala,india.

Can you please help me…

/ Rajesh

• Comment by Deepak on June 30, 2008 at 10:36 pm

kindly suggest a good name for my daughter
    She is born on 24/06/2008 at 7:31:12 p.m. at Grugaon, Haryana, India.

Deepak

• Comment by arulmozhi on July 26, 2008 at 11:13 pm

male baby has born @ 10.15 pm in 14/07/2008 .
    which is the numeric letters start with good for this day.

• Comment by CHAITANYA THAKRE on August 9, 2008 at 7:13 pm

I WANT TO KNOW ABOUT MY FUTURE AND MARIATEL RELATION.MY SPOUSE NAME IS MEENAKSHI THAKRE.

• Comment by Nanda Kumar on August 25, 2008 at 3:45 pm

Dear Sir / Madam ,
    kindly suggest a good & lucy name for my daughter
    She is born on 31/07/2008 at 09:33p.m. at Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India.

Nand Kumar

• Comment by chandu on September 6, 2008 at 4:41 pm

kindly suggest a good & lucky name for my daughter
    She is born on 26/03/2008 at 12:05p.m. at Guntur, Andhrapradesh, India.

chandrasekhar

• Comment by Angel on September 9, 2008 at 4:41 pm

kindly suggest a name for my child born on 01.09.08 at 12.30pm at coimbatore, tamil nadu.

• Comment by any name pre or post fixed with name "ANJANI" on September 16, 2008 at 6:07 am

kindly suggest a good & lucky name for my daughter (any name pre or post fixed with name “ANJANI”)
    She is born on 09/09/2008 at 11:10 am at at golconda, hyderabad, Andhrapradesh, India.

balanpillai

• Comment by preksha on October 1, 2008 at 5:32 pm

my babi name is preksha and i wnt now this minig of names

• Comment by Sujisha on November 1, 2008 at 12:26 pm

Could you give me the information about my future basis my name

• Comment by Hima Bindu on November 1, 2008 at 12:28 pm

Could you give me the information about my future basis my name

• Comment by Sujisha on November 1, 2008 at 12:29 pm

Could you give me the information about my future basis my name and suggest me how to write or pronounce Sujisha

• Comment by manish on December 7, 2008 at 8:59 pm

my baby boy was born on 20 november 4 hours and 2 minutes dubai time, i need to know what is his birth sign, star sign and his suitable alphabet for is name.

• Comment by rohit on February 16, 2009 at 4:39 pm

daughter :Can you suggest me the starting letter for my daughter .Details are given below. I have read lots of web sites but quite confused by the suggestions..

Date of Birth : 29/01/2009 ( dd/mm/yyyy)
    time : 01.55 pm( 13: 55 hrs)
    Place of birth : Jalandhar, Punjab,india.

Can you please help me

• Comment by nirmal kumar k on March 2, 2009 at 4:45 pm

could u plz tell me i will get a job are not .

• Comment by Sumathi on May 11, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Son :Can you suggest me the starting letter for my son .Details are given below. I have read lots of web sites but quite confused by the suggestions..

Date of Birth : 02/05/2009 ( dd/mm/yyyy)
    time : 06.16 pm( 18: 16 hrs)
    Place of birth : Sydney, Australia.

Can you please help me

• Comment by KARUNAKARAN on May 24, 2009 at 11:44 am

Can you suggest me the starting letter for my daughter.Details are given below. I have read lots of web sites but quite confused by the suggestions..

Date of Birth : 15/05/2009 ( dd/mm/yyyy)
    Time : 8.47 pm
    Place of birth :Puliampatty, Coimbatore,Tamilnadu,india.
    Karunakaran.PL

• Comment by Sugumaran on May 24, 2009 at 11:52 am

Date of Birth : 16/04/2009( dd/mm/yyyy)
    Time : 9.54pm Place of birth :Karaikudi,Tamilnadu,India
    Thanking you,
    M.Sugumaran

• Comment by Ramesh on August 20, 2009 at 10:39 pm

Can you suggest me the Horoscope//future for my friends daughter.Details are given below.

Date of Birth : 31/07/2009( dd/mm/yyyy)
    Time : 9.45am Place of birth :Kalyana Durgam, Anantapur Dist, Andhra Pradesh, India
    Ramesh

• Comment by radhika on September 21, 2009 at 7:40 pm

what is my future
    birth place -surat;gujarat;ahmedabad
    birth time -06.10
    birth date- 19/8/1995

• Comment by chethana on October 20, 2009 at 10:13 am

Can you please suggest me the starting letter for my sons name, his date of birth is 19/10/2009 at 2.07 pm.

Warm Regards,

• Comment by Raj on December 16, 2009 at 6:37 pm

can u please suggest boy name, his date of birth is 16th dec 2009 2:09 AM in hyderabad

thanks in advance

• Comment by Saravanan on December 18, 2009 at 8:52 pm

Can you suggest me the starting letter for my son.
    Details are below.

Date of Birth : 08/12/2009 ( dd/mm/yyyy)
    time : 2.55 pm( 14: 55 hrs)
    Place of birth : Chrompet, Chennai, 600044, india.
    Parents name
    Saravanan & Sharmila

Can you please help me…

Saravanan.G

• Comment by mohit goyal on February 13, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Date of Birth : 04/02/2010 ( dd/mm/yyyy)
    time : 08.12 am
    Place of birth : Gurgaon, haryana,india.

Can you please help me…

/ mohit goyal

• Comment by M.s pragadeesh on May 9, 2010 at 8:31 am

I want to know about my future

• Comment by Rohit Khanna on November 10, 2010 at 5:41 pm

Date of Birth : 14/10/2009 ( dd/mm/yyyy)
    time : 01.45 pm( 13: 45 hrs)
    Place of birth : New Delhi, India.

Can you please help me ASAP

• Comment by Mayank Shukla on June 16, 2012 at 12:24 pm

Pls suggest a lucky name or starting letters for my daughter. Born on Aug 12,2009 (06:15 AM ) Lucknow,UP India. Presently her home’s name is Tia.

Mayank Shukla

• Comment by sandeep on December 18, 2012 at 9:06 am

ear Sir,

Can you suggest me the starting letter for my son.Details are given below…

Date of Birth : 11/12/2012 ( dd/mm/yyyy)
    time : 06.08 pm (18:08)
    Place of birth : tohana(Fatehabad), haryana,india.

Can you please help me…
    /// sandeep

• Comment by Arvind on January 9, 2013 at 3:40 pm

Pls suggest a lucky name or starting letters for my daughter. Born on December 18,2012 (01:39 PM ) Lucknow,UP India.

Arvind Kr. Singh

• Comment by Saravanan Sekar on February 10, 2013 at 1:56 pm

Sir / Madam,

Can you suggest me the starting letter for my son.
    Details are below.

Date of Birth : 08/02/2013 ( dd/mm/yyyy)
    time : 1.45 am( 1: 45 hrs)
    Place of birth : Villivakkam,Chennai, India.
    Parents name
    Saravanan & Nadhiya

Can you please help me…

Saravanan.S

• Comment by Sandip on March 10, 2013 at 7:37 am

My daughter born on 26 may 2005 time 6.25pm please suggest me the first letter of her name thanks.

• Comment by Vikas on May 3, 2013 at 2:16 pm

Sir / Madam,

Can you suggest me the starting letter for my son.
    Details are below.

Date of Birth : 28/04/2013 ( dd/mm/yyyy)
    time : 12.47 pm
    Place of birth : Airoli,NaviMumbai, India.
    Parents name
    Vikas & Manisha

Can you please help me…

• Comment by Birendar Nath Pandey on July 9, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Can you suggest which name is suitable for my baby.

His Date of Birth is 7/7/2013
    Time : 6.00 PM
    Place : New Delhi, Sabdargun Hospital
    Parent name : Birendar (Father) and Poonam(Mother)

• Comment by dalip singh on July 20, 2013 at 12:11 pm

can you suggest which name is sutiable for my relative baby his date of birth is 16 july 2013 place gurgaon time 3.16 pm haryana parents name father punit and mother ashima

• Comment by preeti on July 27, 2013 at 11:22 pm

Hi

I have delivered a baby girl this month on 16th July 2013, 11:32 a
    Please help understand the rashi, nakstra, and let me know about the future of my kid. Also help me with the alphabet to be selected for naming my daughter

Rgds,
    Preeti

• Comment by vdkapur on August 30, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Female baby born on 28-08-13, 10.01 am at DUBLIN, IRELAND

AS PER MY READINGON THE LINES ABOVE, SHE IS IN HAST NAKSHTRA AND PADA IS 3,,HHER NAME SHOUL BEGIN WITH UNA
    AM I CORRECT

• Comment by rishav kumar on September 17, 2013 at 2:31 pm

My son wasborn on01/03/13.time was10.17amand weight. Was 4.5 kg at rl memorial hospital arra bihar plese help me understand rasi nakshtra and also know about future of my son. And sugest me my son name will started with which alfabeats

• Comment by anup on October 12, 2013 at 11:53 pm

My nephew (girl) born on 8 october 2013 at 7:50 PM in Place Dumka (State- Jharkhand).Pls help me in finding my baby (nephew) gilr’s raasi and first letter of her name with meaning by astrological.

• Comment by AMOD KUMAR on October 16, 2013 at 12:53 pm

MY SON IS BORN ON 7TH OF APRIL 2010 AT 5.45AM IN FARIDABAD HARYANA, PLEASE, SUGGEST ME THE BEST NAME AS PER ASTROLOGICAL,

• Comment by vivek on October 27, 2013 at 2:30 pm

Hi

I have delivered a baby girl this month on 19th october 2013, 04.20 am, place – badlapur, maharashtra

Rgds,
    vivek

• Comment by Amit kumar roy on November 13, 2013 at 7:46 am

MY SON IS BORN ON 9TH OF NOVEMBER 2013 AT 7.03AM IN BHILAI CHATTISGARH, PLEASE, SUGGEST ME THE BEST NAME AS PER ASTROLOGICAL,Also help me with the alphabet to be selected for naming my son

• Comment by kamal on December 6, 2013 at 1:10 pm

Hi

I have delivered a baby boy previous month on 19th november 2013, 07.15 am, place – agra, uttar pradesh

Rgds,

• Comment by shailesh on December 28, 2013 at 10:01 pm

My daughter born in 23December 2013.(Monday).On09.10am.plz suggest me the right name according to rashi nkshtra

• Comment by shanmugam AC on January 28, 2014 at 11:17 am

by daughter born on 15 jan 14 at 05:45 PM. pls suggest me right name

• Comment by Abhishek on February 9, 2014 at 6:32 pm

January 26th, 2014 at 08:35 pm

My baby born in 26January 2014.(Sunday).On08.35am.plz suggest me the right name according to rashi nkshtra and pl reply by mail.

• Comment by Nilesh Patil on February 13, 2014 at 6:47 pm

My baby born in 3 FEB 2014 at 2:17 am (Monday) kindly sugest me name as per her rashi nakshtra plz reply

• Comment by Rakesh Sawant on February 23, 2014 at 1:01 am

My daughter born on 20 Feb 14 at 09:14 AM. pls suggest me right name

• Comment by chandrakant on March 5, 2014 at 3:22 pm

I want to know my janma kundali

• Comment by Anjana Singh on March 8, 2014 at 11:04 pm

I want to name of my baby, she was born on 29th jan’2014. please send me her rashi name & name for calling

• Comment by Anjana on March 8, 2014 at 11:08 pm

My baby (girl)born in 29 January 2014.(wednesday)at 10.01pm.plz suggest me the right name according to rashi nkshtra and pl reply by mail.

• Comment by samar singh on March 26, 2014 at 3:22 pm

My son named samar singh born on 26 feb 2013 at 0956 hrs ar chandimandir ,haryana pls suggest kundli and his future prediction

• Comment by Sandeep Dewat on June 28, 2014 at 3:25 pm

First off please accept my sincere thanks for doing such a wonderful job of helping every one.
    I have a query regarding my youngest daughter born on 27th May 2014, Time of Birth- 7:05 AM, place of birth- Nakodar, Punjab state. I have tried using online Nakshtra finder software and found out that her birth Nakshtra is Bharani pada 3 and the name alphabet is “Le”, but unfortunately both my wife and I are unable to choose a desired name using the same. Please advice if we could use other letters of pada 1, 2 or 4 of Bharani Nakshtra to choose a name for her. Also do let me know briefly if possible about her life in general.
    Awaiting your reply soon,
    Sandeep Dewat

• Comment by Kshitij Sharma on June 29, 2014 at 2:29 pm

Hi Sandeep,
    Unfortunately, the recommendations are quite restrictive. We cannot use letters of other padas, even when nakshatra is the same. Feel free to use other names. In future, if and when you are using this information to do kundali matching, please use this nakshatra information, but not the name in use.
    kshitij

• Comment by rajesh on September 25, 2014 at 1:01 pm

HIsir,
    Please Tell me the first letter of name for my new born baby boy · I want to know my son’s starting alphabet. he was born on 6th September time 3.40 pm in 2014.

Regards ,
    Rajesh

• Comment by krishna kumar on October 5, 2014 at 8:51 am

Can you suggest me the starting letter for my son.Details are given below. I have read lots of web sites & name suggest ………….Can you please help meite confused by the suggestions.

Date of Birth : 31/08/2014 ( dd/mm/yyyy)
    time : 11:31am
    Place of birth : faridabad ,new delhi (india)
    parents name : dinesh & uma

• Comment by ramniwas tholiya on October 11, 2014 at 4:02 pm

Dear Sir my two baby boy born 31August 2014 please name give me I required e mail ramniwas.THOLIYA @ yahoo.com 07827428149

• Comment by veer Bahadur singh on October 11, 2014 at 10:37 pm

There is one baby in our house plz suggest name for her. She is born on 3July at 9 pm

Before submitting a comment on VEDIC ASTROLOGY, please understand that discussions/messages on the forum and on the blog are visible to the visitors of the site as public information and you allow the site to use the comment appropriately in the articles and notes, while answering your questions. Inappropriate and irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin’s discretion. Your email is used for verification purposes only, it will never be shared. Please go through the Terms of Use in the footer of the page.