November 29th, 2008

Difficult Times

It was not an ordinary day at work and colleagues pointed out to each other that Bangalore Oberoi and the Taj West End are directly visible from our office. I looked out of the window and shuddered. Even when I was aware that I am a thousand odd kilometers removed from Bombay, I felt scared.

There was a feeling of disgust when Bangalore was bombed. However, it is a different feeling now. It is a feeling of distinct fear mixed with rage. It is a feeling of fear because I am not sure if there is a safe place left for me and my loved ones. Fear because I am not sure if my home, my office, the market place I visit, the malls I go to are safe anymore. Fear because I am not sure what kind of world is my son born in. It is a feeling of rage because the people in authority who are responsible for providing this security are imbeciles. They do not have any morals and I don’t know who to be more angry with – the terrorists who kill innocent people or these officials and politicians who through their inaction allow such incidents to happen.

There are many questions that I as an ordinary citizen of India have for these people. However, I am also very aware that the short public memory will allow these politicians to get away with anything. The NSG will continue to be treated as normal security guards to protect the people who don’t deserve it and the innocent citizens will continue to be ignored.

*****

Does the spirit of Bombay really exist?

Someone said that the people get the government they deserve. S/he may be right. 48-60 hours have passed. Nariman House has just been cleared. There are civilian casualties but the crowd does not care about the gravity of the situation. On NDTV 24×7, Barkha Dutt is gravely talking about the Jewish family who did not survive. Strangely, in the crowd, I can see a young man blowing kisses towards the camera. He is just happy that he is on television. He is now taking out his mobile and happily calling someone… “abe dekh, main TV par hoon…”. Something inside me is already dying.

6 Responses to “Difficult Times”

Manher Says:
December 7th, 2012 at 10:42 pm

Panditji,koti pranam–my first communication in this blog
Can you please enlighten me on the following point:the combination of planets to suggest from the KUNDALI of a child will be adopted from an orphanage by couple not even remotely related?
JAI SHREE RAAM…
YOU can publish this mail..
JAI HO…

sonia Says:
November 4th, 2009 at 12:47 pm

Repected Sir,

mY Details
Name: SONIA
Male/Female: FEMALE
Birthday Date: 11/06/1983
Place of Birth: DELHI
Country: INDIA
Birth Time (AM/PM): 09:35AM
mY Email ID: sonia_sanorita@indiatimes.com

My Query: Myself sonia and I love someone and he belongs to other caste, hIS PARENT ARE AGAINST our marriage but my parents are in favour. Thy are marwari and we are punjabi. I want to know about my marriage. Tell me some remedy and i am suffering frm severe hair fall problm plz suggest remedy for that also

Boys Details
Name: Vikas
Male/Female: MALE
Birthday Date: 30/04/1984
Place of Birth: JORHAT(ASSAM)
Country: INDIA
Birth Time (AM/PM): 10:35AM

prathiba Says:
September 21st, 2009 at 11:38 am

I want to knoe when i will get job and when my life will progress my dob 6/6/1985.nakshatra is uttaradam and makara rasi

SUJIT SAWANT Says:
July 21st, 2009 at 1:58 pm

hi iam sujit from bombay my birth date is 16.02.1973
my rashi is cancer(karka) can you suggest me when finished my shani sadesati

kavita Says:
March 6th, 2009 at 2:37 pm

mydateofbirthis24-3-1990isrightmybothisrighttime

Meeta Says:
December 3rd, 2008 at 8:46 am

Hi Kshitij

As I read your comments, sitting here in Bombay, I still experience the fear and the tragedy, both at the same time. While evryone in Mumbai followed the news line by line till the last gun shot, it has not yet sunk in even after a week now. People suspect everything and everyone around them, and justly so..coming from another city reasonably long time back, I can tell that Bombayites are a much, much warmer crowd..what u may have seen at the orphan child’s coverage is not expected behavior of a normal human being, goes much beyond Bombay or not…Like any other city, people of bombay have to by compulsion return to work and our daily chores..”We are resilient by force not by choice” and this has led us to be expolited and abused over and over again..all who travelled in train next day after the blasts called home as soon as they got off to let their people know they are still alive, as if they were leaving for war..even today on the same day of the blast one can see people reading the Gita or Quran, praying for the peace of the departed souls and for their own safety…all who travel to south bombay now still let their family know they are safe and do get calls while leaving all way through…people at home quitely follow the news fearfully, yet hopefuly..living each day -one at a time – kaal ho na ho..