October 2nd, 2008
Profession and Dashamsha Lords
[Editor] Please note the change in Nitin’s contact number. He can be reached at 09968039321 -or- 09868752639 -or- 01125054200 and is free on Saturdays to take your calls.
Author : Nitin Kashyap
In my opinion, prediction of vocation and guidance in professional life can easily be considered to be among one of the toughest areas in Astrology. I have been doing some research on vocation and choice of profession life of people. In the past, there were very limited options as far as jobs are concerned. In this modern day and age, things have changed are in this era of specialization, jobs are too many to choose from. This poses interesting problems for an astrologer to solve.
The content in this article is my attempt to apply some of the knowledge passed down by gurus. Dashamsha is the divisional chart that relates to profession and success and failure in professional life should be judged from this chart. I have looked at a few charts to try and derive the modern meaning of Dashamsha.
For assessing professional life, we have to look for the following:
- Lord of the Tenth House
- Planets aspecting tenth house
- Planets situated in tenth house
- Tenth House mid point (Bhaav Madhya)
If you recall how Dashamsha is calculated, we need to take the longitude of the lagna and see which tenth of rashi division does it fall under. Accordingly, the dashamsha lagna is calculated.
These ten parts can be thought of corresponding to ten directions. The lords of these directions along with the significance that can be accorded to them in the current yuga are as follows:
- Indra is the king of Gods, i.e. Devraj. He is the head of the department and wields control over other staff in the place of work.
- Needless to say, Agni would rule professions related to fire, i.e. jobs that that need a lot of energy and aggression. Police, security and places where a furnace is at the center of affairs.
- Yama is puctual, follows rules and is “niyam ka pakka”. He controller institutions that make laws. Naturally, it relates to court of law and associated professions – judges, lawyers, etc.
- The mind of a Rakshasa is not constructive and wanders a lot. A Rakshasa has serious problems with authority and with taking advice from others. A Rakshasa is therefore a law breaker. It can also denote department of municipal corporation in cities that have the responsibility of destrying illegal construction, encroachment etc.
- Varun relates to water. Sailor and professions related to ships are professions denoted by Varun. Water is also the basis of all life on earth. Varun can therefore be related to medical profession as well.
- Ever changing and freely flowing, Vaayu, i.e. air relates to profession where dissemination of ideas is important. Examples of such professions are – teaching, consulting, writing books, poems etc. Its effect can also make a person change their profession as well.
- Kuber presides over the treasury of Gods. His work therefore relates to finance, stock market, banks and currency market.
- Ishaan is the son of Brahma. His work relates to taking care of people in need etc. Hence, in the current context, this may be applied to organizations doing social service, e.g. NGOs
- Brahma is the creator. His influence on professional life would be towards the manufactering industry.
- Literally translated as “infinite”, Anant’s influence would be spread all over the world – akin to working in a multinational company.
To work out the Deva/lord that is applicable, the mid point (bhava madhya) of tenth house should be looked at. Based on the sign falling in the tenth house, the following table should be referred to.
|Degree||Odd Sign||Even Sign|
|0° – 3°||Indra||Anant|
|3° – 6°||Agni||Brahma|
|6° – 9°||Yama||Ishaan|
|9° – 12°||Rakshasa||Kubera|
|12° – 15°||Varun||Vaayu|
|15° – 18°||Vaayu||Varun|
|18° – 21°||Kubera||Rakshasa|
|21° – 24°||Ishaan||Yama|
|24° – 27°||Brahma||Agni|
|27° – 30°||Anant||Indra|
Editor’s note: What next? I have asked Nitin to further elaborate on workings of tenth house and how to determine profession based on the planetary influence on tenth house.