February 10th, 2006

Bhava Chart – Chalit Chart

Finally, I got it right. There was a seemingly innocuous error in the code because of which the value of Midheaven was coming out to be wrong. Thus, the entire logic behind Bhava Chart was failing. Now, I have fixed the problem and would be publishing another version of my applet on the website soon. I just need to test it well.
After I publish the application on the web site, which would be in next few hours, I would request all users to check the data and notify me immediately if there are any errors. Besides testing for obvious errors, I have checked this application with three dob’s: mine, my wife’s and an example chart provided in “Astronomy and Mathematical Astrology, by Deepak Kapoor”. The values seem to be matching well.
This applet would now display the bhava values in the planetary Positions table. Please see the attached image.
How is a Bhava Chart Calculated? To calculate bhava chart, we need two values – Ascendant and Mid heaven. Ascendant is the sign rising in the eastern direction at the time of casting of chart. The longitudinal position of Ascendant is the mid point of the first house. Mid heaven is the sign directly above the head. It is the midpoint of tenth house. The steps to calculate mid points of other houses are:
  1. total difference = Ascendant – Midheaven
  2. difference for one house = total difference divided by three
  3. mid point of 11th house = midheaven + difference for one house
  4. mid point of 12th house = mid point of 11th house + difference for one house.

Similarly, calculate the mid points of all the other houses to get the bhava chart. The starting point of a bhava is the mean of its and the previous house’s midpoint. Naturally, the end point of a house is the beginning of the next one.

How is Rashi Chart different from Chalit Chart?

1. Mathematically: Rashi chart assumes that all the houses are equal – 30 degrees in length. While calculating the positions of ascendant and other planets, we just take the modulo of the degree by 30 and assign the houses. In bhava chart, the mid point of a house, i.e. the bhava madhya, is given a lot of importance. The influence of a house is calculated based on this bhava madhya. e.g. if Ascendant value is 2 degrees, then the influence of the first house extends from approximately 350 degrees to about 17 degrees and not Zero to 30 degrees as would be the case with a rashi chart. The upper and the lower limits of influence of a house are called Bhava Sandhis. Planets are placed in this newly computed Bhava chart – and we get something called Chalit chart. The rule is simple, if a planet’s longitude is more than the starting sandhi and less than the end sandhi, it is said to fall in that bhava.

2. For interpretations: The combinations that are used for interpretations are – rashi chart along with divisional charts on one hand and bhava charts on other hand. We never mix divisional charts with bhava chart. Planets influence a chart based on the bhava they are situated in. Rule of thumb – if an interpretation system works only with planets and houses and not signs, you can safely assume that it is working with the chalit chart and not the rashi chart. However, the aspects of planets on other planets are always studied from rashi chart. Similarly exaltation/debilitation of planets is again studied only from the rashi chart. Manglik Dosha is studied partly from bhava chart (e.g. statements like Mars causes dosha if situated in 7th house) and partly from rashi chart. When looking for exceptions (e.g. Mars in Simha, i.e. in the sign of a friend does not cause dosha), we should see the rashi chart. Normally, bhava chart and rashi chart would agree with each other. However, if the Ascendant or planets’ degree is closer to multiple of 30, there may be differences between the charts. It is always interesting to see if a planet has moved from one house to another from rashi chart to chalit chart. This explains a lot of times why a yoga that is so obvious in rashi chart does not fructify in real life.

46 Responses to “Bhava Chart – Chalit Chart”

S.Shrivastava Says:
March 14th, 2014 at 10:30 pm

Dear Sir,kindly clearify that the u
kundali to be matched with Lagan or Naraiyani bhav chalitkundali. mangal dosh have to be matched.Regard S.shrivastava

Kannan Says:
March 13th, 2014 at 6:01 am

I’m just started to read Astrology and after some basics I’m reading KP system. I got a doubt which I could not get answer in any websites or books etc.
Let us take Naksatra Cintamani book by Bhat. He has give one example chart in the begining. While reading and understanding, I’m getting this doubt.
Mars is written above the cusp degree of 8th house (Leo) and it is considered as 8th house
while calculating star load & sub lord.
Jupiter is kept below the cusp degree of 11th house Scorpio and consider as Scorpio house for calculating Lord and sub lord. Means here also it is consider as in which house they are present as per KP system.
However when finding significators, Jupiter is consider as occupant of 10th house. Though it is writen below the cusp of 11th house it is consider as occupant of 10 th house and said as occupant of 10th house.
Contrasting to this Mars is kept above the cusp position of 8th house, it is consider as occupant of 7th house.
I got confused. Please help to understand.
Advance Thanks

Irene Jones Says:
February 11th, 2014 at 12:25 am

Please may I ask: does the planet placement in Bhava chart, depend upon Bhava Madhya degree(as per Lagna)?
so I will first check planet degree and calculate its placing, according to bhava Madhya degree, whether planet remain in house or remove in other house?
Irene Jones

Meena Ratnani Says:
May 31st, 2012 at 4:04 pm

This astrological view is good n easy, but where is the LAAL KITAB mentioned?what abt BHRIGU. PLZ GIVE US THE ABOVE THEORIES TOO.

rk Says:
October 6th, 2010 at 4:25 am

I am not astrologer but as my life had made so many turns started taking interest in astrology. I saw several websites i think yours is the best in casting a chart for a person.

Do you teach astrology, please let me know and i might be interested to learn as my knowledge is all superficial and no meaning reading off websites.

RK.

narayan dutt dehriya Says:
October 5th, 2010 at 8:03 pm

dear sharmaji
i am not find my date of birth beacuse i have not 1987 celender beacuse my perents ask me my birth 5 days before Hari talika Festival Hindu manths Bhadho please sugges me and celender find and carrect date

priya Says:
September 14th, 2010 at 7:22 pm

DOB:8 apr 1984
TOB:14.25
POB:hyderabad
about marriage and career.

Mayur Joshi Says:
July 15th, 2010 at 5:59 pm

Dear Sharmaji,

My birth date is 14/05/1970 at Dhule Maharashtra on time 09:45 pm. My question is, does the yooti of Surya + Mangal + Shukra at 6th house from lagna position create a Angaarak yog? Please reply at the earliest.

deepti Says:
June 7th, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Dear Learned members

I have seen difference in placement of planets in Nirayana Bhaav chalit and chalit chart …which one is the real indicator of placement of planets in houses…please clarify

K.M.Doraiswamy Says:
April 13th, 2010 at 11:41 am

Exalted yoga karaka Mars in my horoscope has not brought any good luck in his dasa. Instead,the dasa proved to be very bad. I tried to interpret using Bhava also. Still no explanation for the bad period in spite of having so many yogas in the horoscope. Can you please enlighten me?
Birth details: Male born in Chennai on 06-12-1952 at 22.20 hrs.
Exalted yoga karaka aspected by lord of lagna Moon from own house. It is in kendra with Guru. No bad aspect excepting Kethu and joining with Rahu.

mahesh Says:
April 1st, 2010 at 11:46 pm

Please tell me i have got exhalted mars in 6th in chalit and in 7th house in rasi which is better

sanjeev Says:
April 1st, 2010 at 2:09 pm

In my rasi mesh lagna sani in 1st, budh in 2nd, surya and mangal in 3rd shukra in 4th. In the chalit mesh lagna no planet,shani in 2nd, surya and budh in 3rd, mangal in 4th and shukra in 5th.
Please explain what to consider???
Are both applicable in giving good or bad results???
Which is more accurate???

Dimple Says:
March 5th, 2010 at 7:33 am

Thank you for your research and the opportunity to ask a question. I’m searching for insight into my chalit chart.

In my Rasi chart, Chandra-Mangal are in Meena rashi (Revati nakshatra) in the 6th house. I have a Libra lagna. In the Bhava chart, they have moved to the 7th house. I understand the difference between the Rashi and Chalit chart and I understand that this means that my Chandra-Mangal are in the 7th house but in Meena Rashi. But I’m unable to get insight into what interpretation to make and what Chandra dasha and what Mangal dasha would bring- if it would bring results of the 6th house or the 7th house.

I would greatly appreciate insight into this.

Sincerely,
Dimple

Ganesh Says:
December 7th, 2009 at 10:26 pm

Hi !
My DOB 07/08/1976,1005hrs( Mangalore, karnataka)
I want to know, If I will ever be hired.I was in Dubai till January-2009,Since then I am back in India.
Been Unemployed since then. Health has been the Worst ever.
Right now, Kuja Desha is running Full Swing ( I am sure you will understand, what I mean).
Please advice, moving Overseas will be a Good Move or Will I be Hired to work overseas.
If so, Which Country is advisable.

Thanking You.
Ganesh

chandrika Says:
August 29th, 2009 at 8:31 pm

Hi sir!

I´m begining to sutdy Vedic Astrology.
Please, can you talk about Sani in scorpion?

Chan

Raina chattoraj Says:
June 28th, 2009 at 11:43 pm

Respected Sir,
My DOB is 16/12/1984,1650 hrs(Kolkata,W.B)
I want to know about my exact time of marriage?Whether I will have a love or an arrange marriage?
How will be my life after marriage?What kind of a person my husband will be?If there is really anything which requires my special attention.
I will be very grateful,if you would kinly solve my dilemma and send the needful in my aforesaid email id provided.
Thanking you,
Raina.

surya kumar saini Says:
June 27th, 2009 at 1:10 pm

name surya kumar saini
date of birth 16 11 1980
time 11:05 am
place indian in jabalpur

ASHISH AGRAWAL Says:
May 3rd, 2009 at 10:40 pm

birth time: 07:35 a.m.
subject: ask about which business to do and when.which ratna have to wear

Samyak Says:
April 27th, 2009 at 7:14 pm

well how do you calculate navamsha if planet is 250 degrees in a sign

DHIMAN NASKAR Says:
April 9th, 2009 at 3:58 pm

RESPECTED KSHITIJ JI,
I DID NOT FIND ‘VARGOTTAMA’ IN THE GLOSSARY OF YOUR SITE,I WANT TO KNOW WHEN CAN A PLANET BE SAID ‘VARGOTTAMA’?

MY ANOTHER QUESTION IS IF FIFTH LORD MOON IS PLACED WITH ATMAKARAKA VENUS IN TENTH,DOES IT FORM RAJAYOGA?

AWAITING AN EARLY REPLY FROM YOU.

DHIMAN NASKAR Says:
April 2nd, 2009 at 3:51 pm

I WAS BORN ON 30th NOVEMBER 1981,IN MANUAL BIRTH CHART I HAVE ASCENDANT IN PISCES,RAHU IN CANCER AND RAHU IN 4th BHAVA IN BHAVA KUNDALI.ALL OTHER PLANETS ARE MATCHING WITH YOUR SOFTWARE KUNDALI EXCEPT RAHU.IN COMPUTER HOROSCOPE RAHU IS AT 29DEGREE 30MINUTE IN GEMINI BUT IN MANUAL HOROSCOPE HE IS AT ONE DEGREE IN CANCER.WHAT IS THE SOLUTION.
D.O.B.30/11/1981,TIME 13-40pm,PLACE-SOUTH KOLKATA.

Anil Says:
November 14th, 2008 at 1:00 pm

Kind Attn : Sir

My D.O.B. details are s follows :

Date: 4th Nov, 1972
Time: 3:45 AM
Place : Batala(Punjab ), India

I am going through very tough time of my professional career (i am in a private job of inetrnational marketting). I have lot of fear and low confidence in my mind/ heart and have not been able to achieve sucess as deisred .Please advise what is in store in 3-4 yeasrs to come ?

I have got an offer to work overseas , will it be OK for me and my family ? or will it fireback at me ?

I shal be highly thankful to you for guiding me .

with warm regards!

sneha Says:
October 2nd, 2008 at 5:16 pm

i want know about my future career and marraige please send me to my id suggest for me.

UMar Says:
September 30th, 2008 at 11:59 am

Hi Sir!

I m very interested to learn astrology and I have collect a lot of material about it but I m still not able to make the connection in positions of stars their houses, aspects… I want to know how we can predict exactly after studying the positions etc like some people tell that it’s right time to do this work or not and if two enemy planets r in same house then what will happened…
or u may refer any good source where from I can got all of this knowledge..

Sreekanth Says:
September 1st, 2008 at 2:02 pm

i wanted to know how do we calcualte sishta dasa in vedic astrology

Nilachala Das Says:
August 12th, 2008 at 10:07 pm

Respected Sir,
I am a Student of Astrology and also in Computer Knowledge i.e.C, C++, Visual Basic and wants to do a Astrology Package. So please help me with sending me the Great Astronomy Books named “Surya Siddhanth” with English Translation.
Thanks on Advance.

ramesh Says:
May 16th, 2008 at 2:06 pm

how r u buddy
i wanna see my kundli

anu Says:
March 4th, 2008 at 11:53 pm

hi,

This is a excellent website. I am looking for years for such a website but couldn’t find one earlier.

Keep up the good work.

Anu

kunal Says:
February 15th, 2008 at 7:33 pm

i am kunal from raipur(cg) plz analyse my sister

Ashok Mehta Says:
January 18th, 2008 at 6:13 am

First time I went on line to get the chart. Wonderful/tremendous/extremely helpful work. Great help to people. I really appreciate. God bless us all.

jitendra Says:
January 5th, 2008 at 9:17 pm

plz tell me about my carrier birth time 8.57pm,birth place bareilly,up.india,21-2-1983.

tanmay Says:
October 2nd, 2007 at 9:14 pm

can anybody having full knowledge and experience analyse my son’s chart.
as on date my only question is his higher studies
he has done BBA and wants to persue MBA from top institutions but he has no calibre to qualify CAT

name tanmay singh
date of birth 25.10.1984
time of birth morning 7.15 am
place of birth jabalpur (m.p)india
latitude 23 10′ N
longitude 79 59′ E

thanks
ajay
father

Kiran Says:
September 28th, 2007 at 10:45 am

Where is the software link for Bhava/chalit chakra?
I cannot find it on the website

Kiran

dora Says:
May 16th, 2007 at 2:45 am

have a question about the degrees of the planets. as far as i knew the degrees determined where the planets are placed in the bhava or the chalit chart and also are a way to judge the power of the plantets.The higher the degree the more powerful it is. but recently my friend who is also an astrology enthusiastic, told me that she has recently come across a book called the modern astrology which said that the lower the degree of the planet the more powerful it is in the house it is posited in the lagna chart. for example if rahu is in the lagna at 3.5 degrees strength then it is 100% powerful in that house. it the degree crosses 7.5 then it is 75% powerful, if it crosses 15 degrees then only 50% powerful and so on. I would really like to know if this is accurate? and also if my previous beliefs about the degrees were correct. thank u so much..please do advise..

soumya Says:
May 15th, 2007 at 1:47 am

thank you verymuch for your free service. marriage compatability,birth charts these are very useful for people who believe astrology. thank you. but i do not know the houses places, i mean where is the first place in chakra according to south indian astrogy.so please mention the numbers in houses.

Radhakrishnan Says:
March 30th, 2007 at 10:33 pm

Sir
you are doing a great service to amatuer astrologists like me
i am approaching you with a query on traditional vedic astrology where a Bhava Chart is given alongside Rasi and Navamsa Charts – the planetary positions in Rasi and Bhava chart are different at times
and Bhava adhipatis also become different than Rasi lords
Some astrologers do bhava predictions according to Rasi positions and others take bhava postion and planetary location according to bhava to do the analysis
which is correct in your opinion?
planetary glances and temperory relationship etc become different in the above two cases – how should one consider this?
similarly when navamsa chart is taken, what happens to the relation ships and glances of the planets-do we have to consider it according to planetary position in navamsa chart or as per the original Rasi chart
your valuable feed back will be appreciated
Radhakrishnan

M.D.Radhakrishna Says:
March 25th, 2007 at 12:14 am

The Topics published are excellent in presentation and contents. Please throw more light on effects of retrograde planets and Bhava Charts with examples.

SURENDRA Says:
March 24th, 2007 at 3:03 pm

I HAVE USED IST TIME YOUR SOFTWARE FOR MATCHING COMPATABILITI. AS A LEARNER OF ASTROLOGY I FOUND IT FANTASTIC AND ABSOLUTELY VALUEABLE. THANKS A LOT.

Anand Says:
March 5th, 2007 at 1:18 pm

Dear Sir ,

It seems that you are using the term Bhava Chalit only for the method proposed by Shripati . There are at least twenty different methods of charting Bhava Chalit kundalis . The Shripati Bhava Chalit is called Bhav Madhya Paddhati , where the ascendant degree is taken at the center of the first bhava and then other bhavas are calculated .

Regards ,

debur Says:
February 3rd, 2007 at 4:51 pm

i just started learing astrology. for a student it is difficult to know the aspects and draw a conclusion.i heard jamini method is simpler can u throw some light on jamini asrrplogy?
thanks for providing good web site
debur

saravanan Says:
December 27th, 2006 at 11:06 am

Thanks for the great work available for free (Chart preparation). Can you extend a bit of ur chart that includes ANTARDASA too?

Thx.
Saravanan.S

Anonymous Says:
March 7th, 2006 at 12:59 pm

Hi Kshitij,

Found ur site interesting and very knowledgeable.I have a keen interest in astrology and also a student of it.
I used ur site for matchmaking…i m manglik.I wanted to know whether it is necessary that the gunas should be more than 18 in matchmaking..or its ok if both boy and girl r manglik and the matching points less than than 18…can they get married in such a case.
My DOB is 6th DEC 1978 Time: 2:05am
Place:Rajkot.
The guys details r DOB:4th DEC 1976
time: 4:30pm place:mumbai.
Please let me know should we go ahead with this proposal.
The matchmaking on ur site shows nakshatra match as 10.5.Is it good…can one get married if there is rashi match but no nadi match?
Regards and thanks,
Sonal.

yaathu Says:
March 3rd, 2006 at 7:40 pm

hi Sir Kshitij!
first of all thank you so much for your kind work. its help a lot at this time because you know for checking our kundali matching! fantastic and very generous.
thanks
yaathu

Anonymous Says:
February 20th, 2006 at 10:22 pm

Good Evening,

I use your applet for kundali matching etc. Today evening I was trying to see my son’s birth chart. He is born in May 2004. I noticed that out put shows year in single digit e.g. 8-5-4. Is it showing correct year as 2004 or year 0004 or 1904? Could you please check into it.

Regards.
DN

Kshitij Sharma Says:
February 11th, 2006 at 9:36 am

Prax,
I checked in multiple computers/operating systems and did not see a problem with the output of the Chart matching applet.
If you could provide your contact details, I would request you to do some debugging on my behalf, if it is not much trouble to you.
Kshitij

prax Says:
February 11th, 2006 at 2:27 am

Good evening,

Have been a frequent but silent user of your applet that does kundali matching. Seems to me this applet is experiencing problems as all output is absent from the screen. Perhaps, you have not yet deployed the applet after having worked on it yet?
Do let me know when you get it up and running.

post at prax.no