February 5th, 2006
A lot has been read, said and discussed about the Kalsarpa Yoga. This yoga, and please notice the choice of words – it is a yoga and _not_ a dosha, is caused when all the planets are hemmed between Rahu and Ketu. The figure on the side illustrates this point. If a person has Kalsarpa yoga in his kundali, Rahu and Ketu are said to limit the potential of the chart and not allow other important yogas to take effect. In practice, it is observed that this role of Rahu and Ketu diminishes over time and good things are just delayed for such people. Again, noted Astrologer Dr.B.V.Raman is of the opinion that if the ascendant is on the other axis while all the planets are hemmed on one side of the axis, then the evil arising out of Kala Sarpa Yoga almost gets neutralised.
This blog is just a commentary on what I have learnt about Kalsarpa yoga over the years. My advice to the readers is not to take this yoga too seriously and go on with the life. Research shows that this yoga was not a part of classical texts written by great sages like Parashara, Bhrigu etc. but gained importance later.
Types of Kalsarpa Yoga
There are 12 types of Kalsarpa Yoga. I am sure readers are going to come back to me and ask me about Kal Amrita Yoga as well, but I do not think that Kal Amrita Yoga is a seperate yoga and would not like to comment on it.
1. Anant Kalsarpa Yoga – Rahu in Lagna, Ketu in seventh house: The person is prone to be target of conspiracies hatched by people supposedly close to him. The person is likely to lose out in matters of courts. Married life would be marred by differences between husband and wife.
2. Kulika Kalsarpa Yoga – Rahu in second house, Ketu in eighth: This combination is not good for the person’s health. Expenses would be more then the income and the financial situation would remain fairly mediocre. He has to struggle a lot in life to achieve something.
3. Vasuki Kalsarpa Yoga – Rahu in third house, Ketu in ninth: The person would have trouble dealing with his brothers and friends. Travel to foreign countries would create problems. The person having this combination in his chart should take precautions in deals by paying extra attention towards legal documentation.
4. Shankapal Kalsarpa Yoga – Rahu in fourth house, Ketu in tenth: The person with this combination would never be satisfied with his financial situation and would always strive for more. The person is prone to troubles relating to immovable property – e.g. land, houses and modes of conveyance – e.g. cars. 5. Padma Kalsarpa Yoga – Rahu in fifth house, Ketu in eleventh: The person would have trouble with children. The person should never try his luck in lottery, share markets, and anything where speculation is involved.
6. Mahapadma Kalsarpa Yoga – Rahu in sixth house, Ketu in twelfth: The person would not do well in relationships and would have a very pessimistic view of life.
7. Takshak Kalsarpa Yoga – Rahu in seventh house, Ketu in first: There is a need for the person to be extra careful in matter relating to married life and business partnerships.
8. Karkotik Kalsarpa Yoga – Rahu in eighth house, Ketu in second: The person does not benefit from any paternal property. There would be a lot of trust issues between the person and his friends. This combination is not good for health and Rahu being in eighth house is usually not considered good as it indicates a sudden and violent death.
9. Shankhnaad Kalsarpa Yoga – Rahu in ninth house, Ketu in third: This combination indicates problems from higher authorities, government of the day and local administration in the field of business and commerce.
10. Paatak Kalsarpa Yoga – Rahu in tenth house, Ketu in fourth: Rahu being in tenth house indicates problem in employment and higher authorities whom the person would report to during his/her job.
11. Vishakt Kalsarpa Yoga – Rahu in eleventh house, Ketu in fifth: This combination indicates a lot of problems between the person and his elder brother. The person would also remain away from his native place throughout his life. The person would be prone to problems like heart trouble, insomnia etc.
12. Sheshnag Kalsarpa Yoga – Rahu in twelfth house, Ketu in sixth: The person would be prone to problems from people whom he does not know – mysterious enemies.
Methods to reduce the effect of Kalsarpa Yoga
1. The first and foremost method to reduce the affect of Kalsarpa yoga is to pray to Lord Shiva in His Maharudra avatar on Mondays. Rudrashatakam written by Goswami Tulasidas in Ramacharit Manas should be chanted regularly.
2. Wear a Gomed, about two and a half carets in size in the little finger.
3. Wear a special ring, shaped like a serpent with a small Gomed at the head and a Vaidurya (lahsuniya) at the tail. This ring is to be worn in the middle finger. Take a look at the following images – I could not capture the scale correctly, but the size of the stones is actually pretty small – less than 4 mm in diameter.
4. A pooja at Trayambkeshwara Temple about 40 kms from the city of Nasik in Maharashtra is suggested.