Planetary Actions and Domain of Houses
One of very basic questions of a new student of astrology is determination of how planets act in a chart for a given matter.
A house in the horoscope signifies a matter at hand. Therefore, it is important for us to first determine which house should be studied. E.g. for children, speculation, intelligence, we look at 5th house. This is the relevant domain area. Now for the matters to fructify, it is important to have planets involved; field of activity and domain is determined by the house and actions are determined by the planets. Once the domain/house is determined, the following planets should be identified:
- Karaka of the domain: E.g. Sun denotes father, Venus denotes wife, etc.. Since this planet is the natural karaka for the domain, it would continue to do it irrespective of the horoscope.
- Lord of the house by virtue of the sign located in the house: This planet “owns” the trait in the horoscope for all practical purposes. This planet is the biggest influence on the trait . If you consider the set of planets influencing the trait as a team, then this planet is the de facto team lead. A leader can be powerless and that would hurt the affairs of the house.
- There are other planets that can be in yoga with the Lord. These planets influence the leader. There are some matters that require contribution from planets influencing multiple houses at the same time.
- Planets located in the house influence the affair of the house, but work under the shadow of the leader.
- There is an outside influence of other planets on this house, which should be considered like a nudge from outside:
- Drishti: Planets having drishti on the house fall in this category. The beneficial or malefic influence is on the house. When things are executed by the leader and team members, the good or bad nature of the final outcome is influenced by these planets
- Argala and Badhaka: These work in creating an intervention on the final outcome. Argala can again have a good or bad influence, but badhaka will always create obstacles.
So what does this leader really do? As the lord of a house, a responsibility is entrusted to a planet to take the affairs of the house to fruition. A planet’s agenda in a horoscope will be seen from the house lordship in a horoscope, which is always overriding factor. As a leader, the lord of the house provides the vision and direction, sets the rules and imprints its personality on the trait.
The inherent nature of planet will govern how things are done and how results are achieved, but eventually it is the job of these set of planets a team to see that it is done. That is why it is extremely important to understand the qualities of the planets and how they operate. This should be the first lesson for anyone who wants to learn astrology. In my humble opinion, the best is to go through the chapter of the planets in The Astrology of the Seers in detail.
As a leader, the lord will transform and influence other planets that are situated in its sign/house. This is the basic principle of dispositorship in a horoscope. However, in some cases, if the leader is weak (due to various astrological factors), the team members may in turn may start exerting their influence on it.
If the affairs of a house are controlled and executed by a team (as above), the entire horoscope can be considered horoscope as a hierarchy. A leader could a part of another team for a different affair and house. Its traits may thus be modified by another planet. There is a possibility of one planet becoming the main dispositor of all the planets. Such a planet would exert the biggest influence on the personality of the individual.
Marital Stability and Discord–Astrological Perspective
This article looks at various factors that signify discord in a marriage and the influence of various planets that results in separation (वियोग) between a husband and wife and destroys a marriage. We will also look at factors that denote lack or absence of marriage in a chart vs. presence, but resulting in a separation.
The main factors that we should be looking at are:
- Lord of seventh house and lord of 7th from Moon
- Location of benefics and malefics in 7th house or that in 7th from the moon.
- Venus and its combination with other planets for a man and Jupiter’s position in a woman’s chart
If we want to understand the difference between (1) lack of marriage and (2) separation and (3) separation resulting in a divorce, then we need to look at all these factors and combination with various malefics/benefics. If one of the malefic factors does not exist or is replaced by a strong benefic aspect, e.g., 7th or 9th aspect of Jupiter, then it denotes that marriage will indeed take place, but may result in separation. We should also consider that aspect is to be considered far more harmful than conjunction. If Moon and Rahu are conjunct, then Rahu’s aspect on 7th will case more trouble in its dasha/antardasha compared to the case if Rahu was to be situated in 7th. Presence of Rahu/Sun in 7th house in their capacity of malefic planets will result in an unhappy marriage and/or separation. 7th lord in 8th or vice versa also has the same effect.
By the way, Rahu’s conjunction with Moon will cause other psychological problems in the way of mental health that can anyway cause marital discord, in this case indirectly though. Moon/Saturn can cause problem similarly due to depression, but I will try to come up with a totally different article on this topic.
Although both 5th and 7th houses are considered auspicious and together they can cause rajyoga, their conjunction or exchange is not good for marriage. Presence of 7th lord in 5th house causes discord with wife and denotes lack of children. Similarly 5th lord in 7th indicates lack of happiness in marriage.
Just with these aspects, we cannot directly predict divorce. Since divorce has a legal angle, presence of 6th house lord in this equation is required. The influence could again be through aspect or conjunction.
For predicting multiple marriages or remarriage after divorce, benefic + malefic combination on the above mentioned factors should be looked at accordingly. Aspect of a benefic like Jupiter could check this factor, but we have to finally look at the balance of benefic and malefic aspects to predict the final outcome. Some of the important combinations for multiple marriages are:
- 2 planets located in 11th house
- Venus and/or Jupiter (accordingly) and 7th lord in dual signs (Gemini, Virgo, Sagittarius and Pisces)
- Mercury or Saturn in 7th house
- Mars in 8th house
If any of you want to look at detailed explanation on remarriage or multiple marriages, I would strongly suggest reading Chapter 4 in “The Art of Matching Charts” by Gayatri Devi Vaasudev.
Start of new school session
Vedic astrology prescribes muhurtas for both start of studies for kids as well as start of a new session in schools. These should be thought about as two different samskaras. While start of studies for a child is thought to be as aksharambha (अक्षरारंभ), start of a new session and acquiring new stream of knowledge is known as vidyarambha (विद्यारंभ). The two are different and should be treated differently.
Many of us already initiate our children to learning through usage of word cards, videos, books, etc. However, in the formal sense, education starts only when we send them to school. Hence, this is for a child going to starting studies and in modern context going to school for the first time.
Rishis have prescribed following for start of schooling:
- After praying to Ganesha, Lakshmi, Vishnu and Sarasvati, studies should be started on a day except Monday.
- Let the nakshatra be Anuradha, Revati, Ashwini, Chitra, Hasta, Swati, Puvarvasu, Pushya, Shravana.
- Tithi should be – 2, 3, 5, 10, 11, 12. These do not include Anadhaya tithis that were supposed to be holidays in ancient gurukulas, before we adapted Western concept of leave on Saturday and Sundays.
- No malefic influence on Lagna should exist. 8th house should be unoccupied.
- Jupiter, Mercury and Venus should be strong at the time of starting studies.
- Avoid Sun and Lagna to be in Gemini and Pisces rashis.
As I mentioned above, this is about starting learning a new stream of knowledge. For the same, we should
- Avoid anadhyaya tithis – 1, 8, 14, 15
- Avoid Mondays and Wednesdays
- Avoid Bharani, Kritika, Magha, Uttara Falguni and Uttara Ashadha
I will quickly enhance the article to include good/bad days in the month of June when most of the schools reopen.
Sanyasyoga – Combinations for an ascetic
To be effectively able to judge if a person can take sanyas and become an ascetic, lets try to define the traits that we associate with a sanyasi. Before we begin, I would like to encourage everyone to watch a movie called OMG: Oh My God! It is a great movie.
Traits of a sanyasi that gives a pravrajya-yoga:
- A sanyasi ought to be learned and someone with a sound logic, deeply philosophical and someone with clear and uncluttered thinking.
- Not necessarily deeply religious, but someone seeking truth
- Detached from family, society and worldly pleasures
The combinations that cause these traits to appear in a person are:
- Detachment is caused by malefic influence of Sun, Rahu, Saturn and 12th house lord.
- Such an influence is required on 2nd (family) and 7th house (spouse). Influence on 2nd is much more important as an influence on 7th alone will cause separation from spouse, thus resulting in a divorce.
- Separating influence is required on 4th house (society) and 12th house (worldly pleasures)
- These influence are a must from the Moon as well – especially the influence of Saturn on the Moon is required should be analyzed very carefully.
- Pravrajya yoga is defined by 4 or more strong planets in one house in a chart, without being combust or debilitated. The nature of the sanyas is governed by the strongest of these set of planets. Such a combination should ideally occur in a kendra to affect the Lagna, otherwise it will not be effective.
- Jupiter will need to be involved to bring in the philosophical influence on the mind. Jupiter should by itself be a benefic planet in the chart otherwise instead of a sanyasi, we will see a salesman or marketer, likes of who we see in the OMG movie.
Displaying Birth Charts & Kundali Matching application
I had few posts about now the “website is not working” and how folks are not able to create birthcharts using the website. There are two parts to this problem:
Server Side Problems: Recently, the service provider where I run this website stopped allowing image generation application to be run on the website. This was the application where once a birth chart was generated, you could save it as an image. Now, since the application cannot be run, the image cannot be generated. Apparently fixing this is not such a small problem and it is not just that I pay for an upgrade and things will be okay. It seems I will have to take help from some folks who know java/jsp and servlet programming to help me out. I am working on it and the inconvenience caused is deeply regretted. Believe me, I too am very worried because this was my way of saving any chart for my future reference.
Client Side Issues: When you open this kundali generation page or this kundali matching page, an application called Java runs in your computer to display the chart. This site has nothing to do with it. The symptom is that when you open either of these pages, the application does not run and it appears a blank. To deal with this problem, you must install Java on your computer and allow it to be run within the web browser. This is the website from where you can install Java – http://www.java.com/en/download/index.jsp. Even after installing Java, it may not work because you need to explicitly set up your web browser to use it. Here is the page describing how to enable Java – http://java.com/en/download/help/enable_browser.xml.
Right now, there is no way of getting these applets to work from a smartphone or a mobile device such as an Android phone or an iPad. I must admit that I did not invest much of time for past few years to make this website work on this newer technology areas. Again, this is work in progress and there should be a good news at least for Android folks.