September 6th, 2009
Benefic and Malefic Planets
The art of determining benefic and malefic planets for a lagna (or rashi) is best learnt from Dr. B.V. Raman’s excellent book – How to Judge a Horoscope. This post is what I have learnt from one of the early chapters in the book – “Considerations in Judging a House”. If Motilal Banarasidas has copyright issues with this article, let it be known to me. I will remove it immediately. Still, I believe that all aspiring astrologers should mug this chapter.
The chapter does not only talk about planet by planet list for each lagna, but spell out the rules in making this determination. Lordship of certain houses in the chart can make the planets deviate from their natural tendencies of doing good or bad. E.g. Jupiter, who is naturally the best beneficial planet, is not good for Kanya (Virgo) lagna. It is similarly neutral for Simha (Leo) lagna.
In the rules given below, Dr. Raman also talks about Kendradhipati Dosha, the blemish acquired by a natural benefic by virtue of lordship of an angle 4th, 7th or 10th house. The lord of Lagna does not get affected by this dosha.
Benefics for a lagna can be determined as:
- First house lord, other than moon,
- 9th and 5th lords (in that order)
- 10th, 7th and 4th lords (in that order), when they are not natural benefics. This is Kendradhipati Dosha, which gets cancelled only when the aforesaid planet occupies its own sign.
- 9th and 10th house lords are considered very beneficial to a chart, but they should not be linked with 8th or 11th house.
- Natural malefics, when they become kendradhipatis.
The property of getting opposite traits to natural tendency is cancelled when the planet in question occupies its own house.
Malefics are determined as:
- Lords of 3rd, 6th and 11th houses, in the reverse order,
- Any benefics that might be tainted with Kendradhipati Dosha.
- Moon as lord of Lagna,
- Lords of 8th and 12th house; although the chapter mentions only Sun and Moon as having this property, but in principle it can be applied to each planet.
Based on the logic presented here, the list of benefic and malefic planet for each lagna can be summarized as follows.
|Lagna||Beneficial Planets||Inauspicious Planets||Special Comments|
|Aries (Mesha)||Jupiter, Sun, Mars||Saturn, Mercury, Venus||
Waxing Moon is not auspicious as it suffers from Kendradhipati dosha
|Taurus (Vrishabha)||Saturn, Mercury, Mars, Sun||Jupiter, Moon and Venus|
|Gemini (Mithuna)||Venus||Mars, Jupiter, Sun||
Mars would be very inauspicious for Gemini as it owns 6th and 11th Houses
|Cancer (Karka)||Jupiter, Mars||Venus, Mercury, Saturn||
Saturn owns both 7th and 8th houses
|Leo (Simha)||Mars and Sun||Mercury and Venus, Saturn||
Mars is a yogakaraka all by itself.
|Virgo (Kanya)||Venus||Moon, Mars, Jupiter|
|Libra (Tula)||Saturn, Mercury and Venus||Sun, Jupiter, Moon||
Mars through 2nd and 7th house ownership is a maraka by itself.
|Scorpio (Vrishchika)||Moon, Sun, Jupiter||Mercury, Venus|
|Sagittarius (Dhanu)||Mars, Sun||Venus, Saturn, Mercury|
|Capricorn (Makara)||Venus, Mercury, Saturn||Mars, Jupiter, Moon|
|Aquarius (Kumbha)||Venus, Mars, Sun||Jupiter, Moon|
|Pisces (Meena)||Moon, Mars||Saturn, Sun, Venus, Mercury|
Looking at the rule for beneficial planets, Saturn is not a part of the list for Mesha lagna. This is because He is also a simultaneous ruler for 11th house that take the beneficial streak away.