A lot of people write to me about what Manglik dosha
is and how important it is for ascertaining horoscope compatibility and in wreking relationships. I will explain a few things about Marsh dosha. Before I start, I would like to emphasize that horoscope compatibility analysis is a job of a well trained and qualified professional astrologer. No software can capture the essense of this process. It is like A.I.; We can make incredibly smart machines, but none of them can match humans in terms of intelligence.
Mars is a planet that represents fire. It causes a dosha in the chart because it tends to burn the relationship between a husband and wife; causing rift, tensions and in some cases death of one spouse. I do not know why Mars has been attributed with these qualities historically. Mars is a planet of valour and vigour and if associated with the lagna works towards making the person brave and headstrong. Why should then these qualities work against a relationship? Maybe because then people become uncompromising as well.
In any case, I believe that a lot of importance should not be given to Mars alone. Rahu/Ketu and Saturn should also be judged while matching charts. In her book “The Art of Matching Charts”, Gayatri Devi Vasudev does not even have a chapter on Mars Dosha. She just has a chapter called “Balancing the malefic content”. There you have it…
Coming back to the point, presense of Mars in houses 2, 4, 7, 8, and 12 usually causes dosha. However, like all other rules, this rule exceptions too. The following exceptions have been taken care of in my software:
- No Dosha for Leo and Aquarius signs and/or Lagnas,
- No Dosha when Mars is in 2nd house, in the signs of Gemini and Virgo,
- No Dosha when Mars is in 4th house, in the signs of Aries and Scorpio,
- No Dosha when Mars is in 7th house, in the signs of Cancer and Capricorn,
- No Dosha when Mars is in 8th house, in the signs of Sagittarius and Pisces signs
- No Dosha when Mars is in 12th house, in the signs of Taurus and Libra
Apart from that, some of the exceptions not taken care of in this software are:
- Association of Mars with Jupiter and Saturn in certain cases cancels the dosha
- Retrograde mars does not cause dosha.
- A weak mars (e.g. combust, situated near rashi sandhi) loses ability to cause dosha.
In the end, I cannot emphasize enough about talking to a professional astrologer when you want to match kundalis. The Guna Milap software on the web site is to help you make a decision. It will not and should not make decisions on your behalf.